Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Wyo Fish & Hunt: Homebrew Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Wyo Fish & Hunt: Homebrew Front Bumper

Well I finally got to working on my front bumper project and I got this far until we ran out of Oxygen for the torch so we quit until the next day off.

Of course, the lights are just resting on there until I finish, but I reckon it looks pretty good. I didn't want much of a lip and settled for about 3.5" or so from the grill. Eventually I'll bend up some tubing for a brush guard and I needed the platform. Besides, I also had to account for the hitch.

I opted to install a tow hitch so that I can run a winch on either the front of the back. My plans for this Jeep are to go fishing and hunting with just my dog deep in the mountains (Deep enough that handguns are required for bear, moose, mtn lion, snake, wolf, etc. protection).

Yes, I know that the hitch needs reinforcing. We just ran out of cutting power. We'll gusset the crap out of that thing. As you may have noticed I opted to run with 6" Channel iron instead of box. It is personal preference, but I liked the thickness of he metal at the edge and I could run 3/8" without it being too much heavier (since there isn't the 4th wall to box in the rectangle tubing). For the mounts, I went with 1/4" plate as you can see here.

I could only grab hold of 4 bolts per side. I modeled my mounts off of the tow hooks I used to have so I'm pretty confident the 4 holes is sufficient.

Back to the front shot, you can see that the bumper sets below the grill by about 1.25". I did this to line up with the lower body line. When we get more O2 and materials, I'll bend 3/16" to follow the grill/light line around to the fender. I'll also cover the top with some 3/16" strip. I'm also planning to weld on some side protection using the 6" channel iron and will box in the back. If I'm remembering everything, that is all I have left besides cleaning up the welds, paint and light mounts. Depending on the scrap materials I have left, I may gusset like there is no tomorrow.

What do you all think? By the way, those are the mountains I climb all around in when the snow is off. Great fishing and hunting.

s

Last edited by smtippin; 03-28-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:31 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

looks pretty good, cant wait to see how it turns out
Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

The bumper looks great...im not trying to thread jack but are the reciever mount winch plates strong enough? Ive always wondered how good they would hold up...
Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by parker88
The bumper looks great...im not trying to thread jack but are the reciever mount winch plates strong enough? Ive always wondered how good they would hold up...
It is a good question. My logic, and maybe not the best logic is that a class III hitch is rated to 5000lbs. I don't know how they calculated that number, but I'd be happy to get there. If you think you'd get stuck and need all of that 8000lb winch, it may be best to build yours a bit differently. My frame mounting is a total of 8 bolts which is less than others will tell you to go, but if the class III is my guide, I've hit the total number of bolts so I'm happy.

If you're really looking to get stuck or dangle off the empire state building by a bumper, go beefier.

s

Last edited by smtippin; 03-28-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

looks good. only thing i would have done different would have been to taper sides up to increase approach angle

did you use 2x6 tube?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
looks good. only thing i would have done different would have been to taper sides up to increase approach angle

did you use 2x6 tube?
Personally, I'm not too worried about my approach angle. This is way more recessed than any of the standard winch bumpers. This is the best profile photo I have for it...

...I'll try to get a better profile photo the daylight to show off the approach angle. Honestly, it is fine for what I do.

The material is Channel Iron, not Tubing at all. It is shaped like " ] " as you can see in the above photo. Again, it is great for me. At the angles, the steel measures 1/2" thick and is 3/8" at the thinnest section. It is beefy without the extra weight of the 4th side.

s

Last edited by smtippin; 03-28-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

looks pretty stout. the whole thing about making your own bumper is making it fit you. sounds like yours does so good job.

As far as approach angle my fenders are cut right below the headlight trim bezel to increase my angle. I like to drive up alot of stuff though
Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

you need to cut them fenders
Old 03-28-2010, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFrontGaurds.htm
Old 03-28-2010, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

I like the removable winch I did the same. It works sweet if you can lift well over 100lbs. Some of my friends complained. I think there just week
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
you need to cut them fenders
Thanks 89Eliminator and posjeepxj. I've debated it and am still debating it. The problem is that most of the fender cut jobs I've seen don't turn out too well. I mean, they definitely look chopped. I may go for it. Current plans though are for me to extend the channel iron back about 1/2" past the front of the fender and finish with a vertical line...nothing fancy.

s
Old 03-28-2010, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

if your worried about butchering it go find a set of 97+ fenders, they come stock that cut like the link i showed you
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

I'm not worried about doing the cutting at all. The issue is the final product. I don't know if I'd like the way it turns out, even if done cleanly.

s
Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

i dont have a close up shot but here is mine with trimmed 01 fenders

Name:  cw bumper on outside.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  60.2 KB
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

Originally Posted by smtippin
Thanks 89Eliminator and posjeepxj. I've debated it and am still debating it. The problem is that most of the fender cut jobs I've seen don't turn out too well. I mean, they definitely look chopped. I may go for it. Current plans though are for me to extend the channel iron back about 1/2" past the front of the fender and finish with a vertical line...nothing fancy.

s
i dont like cutting my jeep up but it looks way better when you wrap the bumper around to the front fenders and cut them. plus you gain a lot of clearance.

Quick Reply: Wyo Fish & Hunt: Homebrew Front Bumper