Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Waggy 44 swap, front and rear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Waggy 44 swap, front and rear.

I have Completed this swap, all info as to brackets steering e-brake cables ect are all in my build thread here - Gorillaxj's build thread

SO I know this has been posted before. I have searched but It seams as though all I find are other people asking questions and very few answers. i know the best year axles are 80-82, and 85-91. 83-84 and some but few 85's has axle disconnect. I got a pair of 88 wagoneer axles for cheap. they will need to be re-geared, and gone threw. this I know. I also know that the D30 blah blah blah.... don't really care. I know its a lot of fab work.(good I want to learn) I want the thicker(i know not much) shafts/tubes/bigger ring gear and locking hubs. all pluses to me and my current D30 is LP so no loss there. I choose this because it works best for me. Don't care as to what you think works better. Just looking for some pointers from people who have done this.

2000 XJ

my questions are-
- will the rear spring perches work without modification? they are spring over in the back. (i have read yes and no)

- will I need custom e-brake cables? from wagoneer or will my 8.25 cable work?

- can I use the wagoneer drag link (from steering box to rod) work on my pitman arm? to short? or can I use the wagoneer pitman arm?

- Since i am not using the T&T truss how did you mount you drivers side coil mount with the cast in the way? i think i am going to drill and tap it like JP magazine did and bolt it down as well as weld to the steel tube... any pointers? cant find any good pictures of this.

I will regear it, truss it. use RE truss and upper mounts with ballistic fab xj/tj brackets. this will save me 150$+ ish over the T&T truss. I am not scared of a ruler or a welder.

here are the mounts and truss i am going to use if you are interested....
truss - http://polyperformance.com/shop/Rubi...ft-p-1994.html
axle mounts- http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...it_p_1542.html
passengers upper link- http://polyperformance.com/shop/Rubi...ht-p-1993.html
sorry its so long just looking for the correct info...

Last edited by Gorillaxj; 04-08-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

I wish I had used the truss, I have the ford full width 44 but the fab is about the same. I built a truss to mount my upper mount to out of 1x3 square tube. The waggy pitman arm is a little longer and is an upgrade in my opinion and makes steering easier. When I put mine in I used the ford steering, drag link and tie rod. Since the waggy is only an inch wider you could prob get away with the stock linkage. I thought they were spring under but I doubt the spring width is the same but spring perches are cheap and easy to make, I used 2" square tube.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

awsome, thanks for the pointers. which truss do you wish you used? the t&t? or the RE? just to clarify. (do you have a build thred by chance? i'll look)
I was puzzled looking at the rear axle thinking it was odd the front was spring under the the rear over... maybe I looked at it wrong. I was thinking of just buying some (around $14-$25 a pair) and calling it good, simple and might as well.

I guess ill track down a wagoneer pitman arm, still an upgrade or better then a RE drop pitman arm?

thanks for all the info.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

If you need a drop pitman arm then no but I run high steer so it's not needed. And any truss that would have taken some of the guess work out of placement of the mounts. I don't have a build thread on the axle sorry. It was last winter and was too cold to stop and take pics. Good luck to you. It'll be worth it in the end if only for the piece of mind.