Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

testing electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default testing electric fan

hey there, when i bought my jeep it turns out the guy that owned it before me put a Taurus fan in it, the only downside is that it doesn't turn on. so i was wondering how i could test it, or see if they made my switch for it out of my fog lights switch. so how do i find out if its a switch or can i test it with a 9v battery?

thank you
Old 06-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

You may be able to test the switch with a 9volt battery, but you will not move the fan with it. Straight wire the fan to the battery to semi-test it. With it unplugged it does not matter which wire goes where, DC fans run either way depending on polarity.

Ron
Old 06-21-2011, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

Originally Posted by Blackwolf
hey there, when i bought my jeep it turns out the guy that owned it before me put a Taurus fan in it, the only downside is that it doesn't turn on. so i was wondering how i could test it, or see if they made my switch for it out of my fog lights switch. so how do i find out if its a switch or can i test it with a 9v battery?

thank you
.... so you have your hood opened and your looking at your electric fan.... and not more than 2-3 feet away is the car battery which you could hard wire to the fan to test it..... what makes you want to try and run it off a 9v battery in the first place?????

also you can check if its wired to your fog lights switch by simply turing your jeep on and then flipping the fog lights switch on......
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
.... so you have your hood opened and your looking at your electric fan.... and not more than 2-3 feet away is the car battery which you could hard wire to the fan to test it..... what makes you want to try and run it off a 9v battery in the first place?????

also you can check if its wired to your fog lights switch by simply turing your jeep on and then flipping the fog lights switch on......
wow dude... bit harsh, you could have put a little tact in to that and not been a dick.

anyway... OP XJMJ is right, grab a couple jumper wires and try the fan right of the battery for a couple seconds and make sure the fan works... from there check were the wiring goes if it does go to the Fog light relay it probably fried, the Taurus fan pulls a lot of amps... then go on from there...
Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ChileRedBateman

wow dude... bit harsh, you could have put a little tact in to that and not been a dick.

anyway... OP XJMJ is right, grab a couple jumper wires and try the fan right of the battery for a couple seconds and make sure the fan works... from there check were the wiring goes if it does go to the Fog light relay it probably fried, the Taurus fan pulls a lot of amps... then go on from there...
Thank you, lol I havnt read this in a while and yeah that dude was being a d bag but w/e. Thank your for the help
Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

Originally Posted by Blackwolf
Thank you, lol I havnt read this in a while and yeah that dude was being a d bag but w/e. Thank your for the help

yea it was harsh, but i'll bet you next time you are wondering about your fan or anything else (exterior lights, CB or etc) you'll remember that you have a perfectly good battery to test off of only feet away... btw where ya at in Michigan???
Old 06-22-2011, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
yea it was harsh, but i'll bet you next time you are wondering about your fan or anything else (exterior lights, CB or etc) you'll remember that you have a perfectly good battery to test off of only feet away... btw where ya at in Michigan???
how dare you point out the obvious!!! sinner!!

i will point out one more thing. how in any sort of way is this fab?

post in the correct section please. im sure the mods get sick of moving them when it only takes a sec to put it in the right place. unless you somehow welded the fan in?............not harsh, just blunt.

Last edited by MallCrawlXJ; 06-22-2011 at 07:01 AM.