Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Swing Away Tire Carrier - Help/Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Swing Away Tire Carrier - Help/Suggestions

This is part of another fab thread ive got going, but am hoping to reach a wider range of peeps with this question

Ive have been thinking about how and where to mount a tire carrier hinge and am looking for some help and suggestions. I guess I didnt put enough thought into that when I started this design.

My thought, before I had it all welded together, was to face mount a spindle style hinge similar to the way its done on the Detour Tailbone Carrier below, to the far passenger side end cap even with the tail light. Now im questioning weather I will have the strength in that spot to carry the load? That portion of the bumper is basically hollow. Wondering if I weld in a 1/4 thick gusset, inside, from top to bottom, if that would provide enough support? Also the thought of moving it in towards drive side where i already have a 1/4 gusset which is part of the mounting system, tied into the uniframe... Dont mind my 3rd grade illustration... ;-) Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Swing Away Tire Carrier - Help/Suggestions-bumper2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

if your bumpers made out of 1/4 i think itll be fine but it wouldnt hurt to gusset the mount. also if it were me id and some extra support to the other side when its latched closed to spread the load of the tire. like the one in the second pic.