Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Stock tire carrier...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Stock tire carrier...

Curious…

Was looking at a picture of a XJ stock rear tire carrier…From what I could tell…it seems like a pretty simple design…The attachment points(brackets&hinges?) were hard to see clearly…and I assume these are the key component …but nothing appeared very earth shattering…

I realize lots of folks would rather go bigger and better when it comes to modifying/making/buying stuff…and I know there are after market tire carriers…. and at least one that utilizes the stock bumper…But is there an exact replica being made of a stock carrier?...Seems like there would be a market for one....if the price was fairly reasonable

I’m amazed at the metal fab work some of you guys do making bumpers, racks, etc….
My knowledge of this sort of fabrication is nil…so I might be missing something…Say you had the plans/blueprints of a stock carrier… any thoughts or maybe a ballpark estimate of what a copy of the original might cost to build?…Thanks..
Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

The problem with the stocks ones are they are weak... you can't add Much for a larger tire and ones that attach to the fiberglass hatch tend to rip out or crack the fiberglass... there just not a good design...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
The problem with the stocks ones are they are weak... you can't add Much for a larger tire and ones that attach to the fiberglass hatch tend to rip out or crack the fiberglass... there just not a good design...
Makes sense...I forgot that some of the rear hatches were fiberglass..I was surpirsed when I saw the picture...I would have thought it would be more "beefy"....I'm probably staying stock....so I'd still take one if I could find one...Thanks...
Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Copperhead
Makes sense...I forgot that some of the rear hatches were fiberglass..I was surpirsed when I saw the picture...I would have thought it would be more "beefy"....I'm probably staying stock....so I'd still take one if I could find one...Thanks...
the stock ones were WAY back when AMC had control. there is one in the MODS thread and has pictures of the hinge side. i asked questions about it and got good answers...
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/ho...21618/index32/
Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have a 33" spare in the factory location. I had to move the rear seat latch assembly foward about an inch but I don't sit back there anyways.