Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

steering arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default steering arms

I know its probably in here somewhere but ive searched and cannot find what im looking for. on my 87cherokee with 5" lift i keep bending the steering rods and was wondering if i threw out the stock stuff and bought heim joints and welded pipe to the heim joints and just ran piping like the stock stuff was and bolt the heim joints on with grade 8 bolts where the old stock tierod was will this work? its trail only rig never to see the pavement or go over 50 mph
Old 02-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Year: 2k

Sure you can. Websites like ballistic fab have everything you need. DOM tube, weld in bungs, heims,jam nuts ,etc. I would bolt the drag link to the top of the knuckle and the tie rod below.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Modestmike
Sure you can. Websites like ballistic fab have everything you need. DOM tube, weld in bungs, heims,jam nuts ,etc. I would bolt the drag link to the top of the knuckle and the tie rod below.
i was thinking of posting it that way but already had it painted lol but yea trying to go the cheap route so i could buy like 4 heim joints and weld them on the end of some tubing and bolt em right on should work....
Old 02-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Year: 2k

No. Do not weld the heims to the end of the tubing. Get inserts or get the tube threaded. You might need misalignment spacers and you'd probably want to relocate the track bar above the axle.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

If you weld the heims there is no adjustment and it will melt the inserts in them. You will need misalignment inserts on the drag link. I run a simular setup but I welded 2x2 hitch steel with the top cut out on my tie rod and attached my drag link there. Gets rid of a little bit of play and I didn't have clearance OTK for both heims running 15" rims. Plus I didn't use misalignment spacers on the tie rod. I used 1.5" DOM and weld in bungs, 3/4" heims and it cost me less than 150 bucks. Not street legal in most places but on the few trips mine makes no one has ever bothered looking at my steering, guess they are wondering if I have a straight body panel hiding somewhere.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM

to xjmarc: i kinda got an idea what your talking about but is there anyway you could post some pics of your steering setup to give me an idea? i thought it was alittle too tight to put two heim joints where the pitman arm attached right next to the tire.....

update: i just seen where you live hell if its ok with you i might drive up and look at it if its too much trouble to put pics up....

Last edited by cherokeemtnman; 02-22-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: last minute idea
Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I should be back in town Friday and I live off Hixson Pike near Lakesite if you know where that is.