Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

soft top

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default soft top

I am in the process of designing a soft top for my dad's 1974 k5 Blazer (350, auto, 4in lift, metric sized BFG All terrain tires that are about a 35) and right now im thinking of going a few different ways, keep in mind that this is NOT a half cab but a full convertible.

1. is to do the back similar to this bronco but have it be with two flat pieces of metal that go along the sides and connect where the regular top does.
and build a conduit frame to go around the doors and up to the front where there are the stock top mounting points where i would have a third piece of flat stock running from side to side.

2. is to build something like on these toyota's (without the sides) with the front end the same way as above.

im leaning towards the first one due to the fact that there would be less stuff to deal with. i do not have a welder so i will have to get everything welded up and i think i might be able to get the first done without welding. I plan to use black canvas and for a "window" if i did option #1 i would either go with a thick flexible plastic like on a normal soft top or i wouldnt do one at all and either way it would be removable.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Resident Pirate

i went out and took some pictures and put some more thought into it.

First of all the rear seat sticks up 3-4 inches higher than the sides so im not sure if it will interfere with idea #1 which is the one im still wanting to do.

Then there is the fact that i cant weld so conduit is really the best rout for me to go as framing. is it really this cheap for a 10 ft piece? http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053

and then for the front connection (picture below) im thinking of having a flat piece running across until it starts to curve and then switching to two pieces of conduit that will form a triangle of sorts on how it will be bolted kinda like these symbols <==> if it makes sense and then have the pointy end connect to the door frame that will be built of conduit also
Attached Images     
Old 05-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Resident Pirate

sitting over to the side is a gate my dad is building and it made me think, why not do something similar for the back. only thing about that is how to connect to the truck.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

well the best way I found to make a soft top is to look at a boat top(bimini) at the shop I worked at in exton pensylvania FUTRUELINE AUTOTOPS my boss made one for a zuki and a bronco. The first pic you showed is relativly easy you would have to make it in 3 pieces due to the length average width of any material roll is abour 36" you can custom order somthing in the width you need but it would be cheaper to just go to your local upholstery shop and ask them if you can buy some marine grade vinyl
or elseit will leak. You can also ask for sumbrella that is the material they use to make bimini covers.

The second picture is alot closer in comparison to a boat top
this would intail a pipe bender and alot of hardware

If he dosnt care about having a 2 seater I would go with the first design
if you have any more questions you can pm me

Last edited by mcnslayer; 05-08-2010 at 07:07 PM.