Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Roof rack, Cupholder, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Default Roof rack, Cupholder, etc...

Hey everybody, new here and thought I'd share.
Yeah I know, another roof rack!! The frame is made out of 1/2" square tube, .06 wall. It took me a while to decide on what to use for the flooring, but I eventually settled on some 1x4 lumber I picked up from home depot. I like the look a lot but some of the boards have warped so Im thinking of changing that up.
-Frame getting tacked.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

During a trip down accross the Mojave Road in early summer the rear factory cross bar collapsed which is why it looks like it isn't lined up very well. Found out that sometime before I owned it someone had taken a bolt out of the rail and it buckled under all the rocking motion. New bars are in the works to mount it to.Also just threw together a cup holder today out of some stainless strips i had laying around. It sticks out a little to much so I think I'll make version 2 stick out a little less.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Looks good. That lumber looks too heavy tho you should check into expanded steel its the mesh stuff it would be way lighter but its a bit of a pain to weld.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM

Year: 1994

Thanks
I've used expanded as flooring before on a rack i built for an explorer i had and i know what you mean, it was a major pain to weld. It works but i wasn't quite satisfied with it, functionally and how it looked. Im considering using 1/8th thick aluminum flats going accross the width with about 2 or 3 inches between each piece, but I need to get the new mounts made before I tackle that. I just moved and dont have an 220 source in the garage yet, so im sort of stalled at the moment.