Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Rear 4-link

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear 4-link

Is there anyone on this site who has an xj who has put coils on the rear and linked it? I'm hoping to get dimensions feome someone and some pics
I'm going to link mine when I'm done with the front in a few weeks
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: none other

if you cant find anyone here get on pirate4x4 and read. there are tons of people on there that has linked the rear with tons too.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

The pbb was the first forum I joined and there's sort of a circle of friends on there from back east that have linked xjs that I have talked to about it,
the onlynproblem about that site is that it sucks to them if it's on anything less than tons. I'm going with a d30 front and an 8.8 rear and I'm going to link it.
I was wondering if anyone on here would have a similar setup,
I might check naxja too
Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 l

Read this post https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...n-94-xj-27850/

Hes done it and looks pretty nice.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 AM
Former Sponsor

i read the post and x2 it is nice, i really like how all the mounts are under the jeep instead of sticking them thru the floor like all the guys on p4x4 do.
thanks for the link, now i just need 2 heims and a ford 8.8 to stick under there and ill have all the parts
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 l

Thats it just a few parts. lol I might do that down the road sometime. My rear shocks stop my travel. I need to rebuild my shock mounts to flex better and put in some long travel shocks.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

yeah i want to get some foa shocks for the rear and just use the stock xj front springs i have for the rear. ill do it when i get an 8.8 and ill set it up so when my leafs get worn out ill do the swap.
the only problem i was having was finding a build to go off of that i liked. i want to keep the rear of my xj for storage and not have links poking thru the floor and stuff like that. if you go on p4x4 youll see what i mean
Old 08-20-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm thinking about linking the rear as well. But I haven't decided for sure (still need to buy the XJ first). There are a few threads on NAXJA that don't have the links going through the floor.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

i forgot about them lol
ill check them out. and coils vs leafs are like comparing apples to oranges, more flex and your able to hit the whoops if you want depending on how you set it up
Old 08-21-2010, 06:14 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 stock
Default I can help

I have a triangulated, home made 4 link in the rear of mine, on coil springs, and it is all under the floorboards!! I will take some pics today and put up for you. It is on a 9" ford, but the setup will work on any rear. Pretty simple really, just takes a little time, a little welding, and a little grinding.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Former Sponsor

id appreciate it alot. i have heard so much about getting the angles right and having to worry about anti squat, triangulation, and a bunch of other terms and i was wondering if it was something to actually worry about or not? id like it to ride thru the whoops as smooth as possible and get more flex out of the rear vs if i had leafs on it which would all come from the geometry. is it really that complicated or am i over thinking it? the welding and grinding seems to be the easy part,
also what did you do with your exhaust? i have to keep the cat and the muffler on it as my xj is a street legal rig in California.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by chattacuda
I have a triangulated, home made 4 link in the rear of mine, on coil springs, and it is all under the floorboards!! I will take some pics today and put up for you. It is on a 9" ford, but the setup will work on any rear. Pretty simple really, just takes a little time, a little welding, and a little grinding.

I would love to see the pics as well.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 stock

Pictures uploaded of triangulated 4 link. Dont try and over think it. Main thing is get the top links as wide on the rear as you can and bring them as close together on the cross member as you can ( be sure to allow to allow for drive shaft down travel.) Of course, the longer the links, the easier it is on the hardware to flex. My crossmember has a cutout in it for the exhaust pipe to run above it. Dont know if I got that in a pic or not. I know guys that wheel a lot and do great that want the stability of the rear leafs and do great with a lot of front flex; everyone has their own preferences. Just have a good time with whatever you got http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz5/chattacuda/

Last edited by chattacuda; 08-22-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: messed up the pic link
Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Former Sponsor

okay sweet thats the type of design i was looking for. if your trying to make the upper arm angles as wide as possible why didnt you make them longer and spread them out? im sure has to do with the geometry on this one.
what are the eye to eye lengths of the upper and lower arms on yours?
once i have those i should be able to get pretty close as far as the angles.
and is that 2x6 box tubing that you used for your cross member?
sorry for all the ?s lol
Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chattacuda
Pictures uploaded of triangulated 4 link. Dont try and over think it. Main thing is get the top links as wide on the rear as you can and bring them as close together on the cross member as you can ( be sure to allow to allow for drive shaft down travel.) Of course, the longer the links, the easier it is on the hardware to flex. My crossmember has a cutout in it for the exhaust pipe to run above it. Dont know if I got that in a pic or not. I know guys that wheel a lot and do great that want the stability of the rear leafs and do great with a lot of front flex; everyone has their own preferences. Just have a good time with whatever you got http://s808.photobucket.com/albums/zz5/chattacuda/
Have you run any numbers on this build through a 4 link calculator?
How does the rear end react under acceleration? Does it squat? Raise?
How about braking? Excessive brake dive?

Quick Reply: Rear 4-link