Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Portable Fire Ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default Portable Fire Ring

Made from scraps at my current job. Currently considering how to attach to my spare tire carrier:

Old 08-18-2017, 07:26 PM

Default In Use

Old 08-22-2017, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl

The simplest thing I can think of would be to drill holes to match the bolt pattern of the Jeep, put extended studs in the tire carrier, and bolt then bolt the tire on using one set of lug nuts, and then bolting the fire ring onto the outside of the tire. This way you won't be unbolting the tire every time you want to set fire to something.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:53 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by DJKnightmare
The simplest thing I can think of would be to drill holes to match the bolt pattern of the Jeep, put extended studs in the tire carrier, and bolt then bolt the tire on using one set of lug nuts, and then bolting the fire ring onto the outside of the tire. This way you won't be unbolting the tire every time you want to set fire to something.
Excellent idea.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by DJKnightmare
Great suggestion, but I came up with even simpler. I'll post photos in a few days.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 PM

Old 08-23-2017, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Just a question. Do you frequently need a fire ring? I love what you did, it's awesome. But I've never needed one haha....theres usually one or we just make one with a shovel haha. Just curious man
Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ElMartillo

That is exactly what I was thinking, since you already had the hole in the bottom. Great job.

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Just a question. Do you frequently need a fire ring? I love what you did, it's awesome. But I've never needed one haha....theres usually one or we just make one with a shovel haha. Just curious man
This kinda depends on where you go. Sometimes you can't build a fire pit due to local restrictions. Trust me, only place out here is in the middle of the wide open desert, haha...but, it could also come in handy at places like parks, the beach, etc...
Old 08-23-2017, 08:31 PM

One more thing...if you want that paint to hold up, go get that thing blasted and ceramic coated...probably won't cost that much...maybe $40-60
Old 08-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
Originally Posted by roninofako
This kinda depends on where you go. Sometimes you can't build a fire pit due to local restrictions. Trust me, only place out here is in the middle of the wide open desert, haha...but, it could also come in handy at places like parks, the beach, etc...
I prefer a "leave no trace" approach to camping, and there are areas of the country, i.e. the southwestern deserts where it's required to burn in a metal fire ring. Besides, pulling this off the back of my rig is easier than digging a hole or gathering rocks.

That is exactly what I was thinking, since you already had the hole in the bottom. Great job.
Thanks for the compliments, gents.

One more thing...if you want that paint to hold up, go get that thing blasted and ceramic coated...probably won't cost that much...maybe $40-60
Hadn't thought of that. I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Excellent execution. I like it.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
I prefer a "leave no trace" approach to camping, and there are areas of the country, i.e. the southwestern deserts where it's required to burn in a metal fire ring. Besides, pulling this off the back of my rig is easier than digging a hole or gathering rocks.
Ok. Was just curious. I can see lots of uses for it, just wanted to know yours haha. I live in New Mexico and there are lots of desert areas. But most of the time I'm up in the mountains. We don't make large fires per se, but they wouldn't fit in your ring. But really man I dig your creation haha. Any concern of it being stolen?

we own property up on the mountain. My pops found these huge discs in someone's yard one day as he was passing by. Stopped and bought them. Then this fire pit was created lol. It has the grill, thing for a rotisserie, and in the center there is an "oven" that goes down into the 2nd disc and cooks with coals. Sadly, it's not portable...pretty dang heavy. Took a backhoe to set the pieces haha

not sure if you can tell by the pic but it's 4 feet across.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl

Maybe paint the bottom Blaze Orange so that no one rear ends you.

(Drivers around here suck so bad, that I nearly painted the back of my rig orange with yellow stripes)
Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

Looks like if you had a double-carden shaft and an off-set gear box you could make a deep water propulsion unit. Just kidding man.

Looks like a really good idea.

Happy Jeepin"
Old 11-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by texastaz38
Looks like if you had a double-carden shaft and an off-set gear box you could make a deep water propulsion unit. Just kidding man.

Looks like a really good idea.

Happy Jeepin"
Heeeyyyy... you might be onto somethin there. Build a rear diff cover that houses a new pinion gear, bearing, and seal. With some sort of quick connect yoke for a prop..... Amphibious jeep! lol