Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

My Spare Tire Carrier Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Spare Tire Carrier Build

So today i been busy, arc'n and spark'n building my own spare tire carrier. Still got some drilling to do, some cutting off and grindage to make it look all neat. I used an actual reese hitch and 2x2 square thats 1/4" thick, and a piece of 2 1/2"x 2 1/2" thats 1/4" thick for the 2" to fit perfectly inside of. I somehow already had a piece of steel that was perfectly round just right for the studs to bolt the tire to. The angle iron was already welded to the end of the 2x2 from another project so i left it for more support of extra welds. Tomorrow im gonna do all the drilling and where i had written on the picture gonna add a bolt and also a pin. Gotta add a limiting strap to where it just leans back enough to get the hatch open. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: none other

looks pretty good for a hitch mounted tire mount. the only thing that sucks if what you going to do for a spare if you need to tow? have to unmount it then take the spare off and toss it in the back?

here is a link i have kept in the back of my head so i can add one to my rear bumper. just an idea for you. looks good though still.
http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/XJ-rearbumper.html
Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mtparker97
looks pretty good for a hitch mounted tire mount. the only thing that sucks if what you going to do for a spare if you need to tow? have to unmount it then take the spare off and toss it in the back?

here is a link i have kept in the back of my head so i can add one to my rear bumper. just an idea for you. looks good though still.
http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/XJ-rearbumper.html
I started to build something like that when i built my bumper, but i kinda like the take it off when you want, run it when you need it so thats why i built the hitch mount style. I highly doubt ill ever be towing anything with my jeep especially once its all woods worthy. Only reason i would ever need to take it off is if i ever need to put my winch on the back to pull myself out.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

I cant wait to see how it comes out. Ive been doodling one up in my classes lately and want to start one.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 AM

Engine: none other

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey
I started to build something like that when i built my bumper, but i kinda like the take it off when you want, run it when you need it so thats why i built the hitch mount style. I highly doubt ill ever be towing anything with my jeep especially once its all woods worthy. Only reason i would ever need to take it off is if i ever need to put my winch on the back to pull myself out.
well in that case your doing a great job and get more done with more pics
Old 09-30-2010, 08:18 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.hoe

Looking good so far
Can't wait to see the finished product
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 PM

Today got some more progress, got the holes drilled and also instead of making the bracket more bulky and **** to catching on anything, i welded some chain to it to limit how far it goes back.. Ill get some more in detail photos tomorrow.

Now thats sexy... My Jeep came with a factory spare tire carrier, so i can easily move the license plate over the lower driver side of the hatch, if i want. Which i probably wont lol.

Its simple, it works and serves its purpose.

Not too high, not too low...
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

thats a good idea. you could sell those to non welders!