Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

lincoln 140 hd

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default lincoln 140 hd

Hey all, so i got my new welder and all that good stuff i am now ready to do my axle swap, the 140 can do a 5/16 thick metal will this bee enough for my axle swap? i have been told yes and i just wanna double check before i do it and then find out the hard way thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87

I just looked it up on lincolns site, and its maximum capability is 5/16. That means you will be maxing out your machine. Pay attention to your duty cycle, and your technique and you should be able to weld on your brackets for your swap.

I would have concerns about it only being a 110v machine doing this, thats why I looked it up. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Yah me too, i just dont have the means for a 220 yet, my land lord said no and i cant find a 220 extension cord so i bought this and hope it works i am gonna use gas and everything....
Old 12-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Year: 1998 RHD
Engine: 4.0L

I work for a welding supply company. The Lincoln 140HD is not all it's cracked up to be. The HD does NOT stand for heavy duty, it stands for Home Depot. Lincoln makes these machines exclusively for Home Depot. They are hard to find parts for (contact tips, nozzle, gas diffuser, drive rolls, etc.) and some welder repair facilities won't work on them. The old saying, " You get what you pay for" really holds true with this machine. Especially for 5/16"! A Millermatic 140 or 180 with Auto-Set would be where I spend my money on a capable machine that will last so I can give something to my grandchildren 30 years from now.

Last edited by RHD98XJ; 12-15-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Mis-spell
Old 12-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

Originally Posted by RHD98XJ
I work for a welding supply company. The Lincoln 140HD is not all it's cracked up to be. The HD does NOT stand for heavy duty, it stands for Home Depot. Lincoln makes these machines exclusively for Home Depot. They are hard to find parts for (contact tips, nozzle, gas diffuser, drive rolls, etc.) and some welder repair facilities won't work on them. The old saying, " You get what you pay for" really holds true with this machine. Especially for 5/16"! A Millermatic 140 or 180 with Auto-Set would be where I spend my money on a capable machine that will last so I can give something to my grandchildren 30 years from now.
thats funny...all the welding supply houses in denver carry parts and service lincoln hd welders. everyone carries contact tips for these...im pretty sure they are a standard thread.

i also used this same welder to do my axle swap.....took my time and know the duty cycle. havnt broke a weld yet and i have beat this thing agaist some of colorados hardest trails.

in fact...my jeep was pretty much built using this machine. all but the cage.

guess you must not be shopping at the right places!!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM

You can do a whole lot with a little welder, just bevel the pieces you are gonna be welding so more weld can burn in and also take your time, make sure the steel is as clean as possible. We used a little cheap'o Clarke welder about 5 years ago to swap over a 1/2 ton truck to ton front and rear, spring perches, shocks mounts and a few other things, it caught mortal hell, nothing ever broke or come apart and the truck is still running around today with everything exactly where we welded it. You can do just as much with a small welder, just got to put a little more time and engenuity.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RHD98XJ
I respectfully disagree with you on this subject, i have done my searching and this is what i found and it actually made my choice for me
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ture/e7242.pdf

Originally Posted by xjbones
thats funny...all the welding supply houses in denver carry parts and service lincoln hd welders. everyone carries contact tips for these...im pretty sure they are a standard thread.

i also used this same welder to do my axle swap.....took my time and know the duty cycle. havnt broke a weld yet and i have beat this thing agaist some of colorados hardest trails.

in fact...my jeep was pretty much built using this machine. all but the cage.

guess you must not be shopping at the right places!!
Thanks for the help, as for this duty cycle i keep hearing this and how do i watch the duty cycle and stuff? As for you using the same welder thats great to hear at least i wont be the only person using this machine. Thanks again
Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

To make a 220V extension cord, buy the correct male receptacle (dryers are normally 30 amp), and then buy the correct welding plug (normally 50amp), and what ever length of the heaviest wire you can get in the help section. The stuff I got was around 1.15 a ft a few yrs ago(5 to be exact). Most ppl dont weld right next to thier welding receptacle.

As for getting consumables... I live in the country and it is cheaper to get them online and have them shipped in most cases. I do advise that you write down on a index card and put it under some kind of clear protective paper that way you always know what size wire, and the part numbers for your tips and nozzles.

I too started with a flux core mig machine yrs ago (11 to be exact at home) and it to was a 110 machine. I found it adequate for most projects, but I found myself wanting a more powerful machine. I didnt have the money to get the miller machine I still want, so I went and bought an AC/DC lincoln. This handles all my needs right now. Yes I might spend a lil more on consumables, but it fits my needs.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

you could use my lincoln 225 gas jobber or my ironman mig if you lived up in ny, way way up 20 mins from canada,anyone would be welcome too. Just bring alots a beer.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by rich
you could use my lincoln 225 gas jobber or my ironman mig if you lived up in ny, way way up 20 mins from canada,anyone would be welcome too. Just bring alots a beer.
Thats what you call a good feller right there! lol..
Old 12-16-2009, 11:51 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 1-6 4.0

i use this same machine with no problems just take it slow.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

its all in technique. you can weld anything with anything if you know what you are doing. i've welded 1/2 steel with a little hobart 140 with great success at my job. 220 is a little hard out on a lake barge.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

As pointed out prpoer technique is going to be key. This is going to include beveling what I consider thin metal, and having to make mutiple passes which can increase the chance of weld defects. You will also use up more consumables (grinding wheels, wire and time) to do the same work a bigger machine could do in one pass with less prep work.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 PM

Year: 91
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.ol

I have a lincoln 140 hd and love it. The one thing to learn about this muchine is that unlike other welders is that when ur welding thin stuff like sheetmetal you get a smoother weld if you turn ur wire speed down and if ur welding thicker stuff turn ur wire speed right up to the 2 thats where it works its smotthest on thick stuff. The biggest problem with the lincoln is that the heat dial is marked a,b,c, and d and you cant dial it in right where you need it so you need to make up the difference with your wire speed. I use the crap outa mine and i kid you not it doesnt go a day without beeing used.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4 liter
Default Use multiple passes.

the gentleman who works at the welding supply store is correct about the relative quality of the machines discussed. However you must in welding use the machine you have versus the machine that would be perfect. I recommend that you practice ,practice and practice.