Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Just bought my first MIG, what are some cool projects?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Just bought my first MIG, what are some cool projects?

I just bought a new lincoln electric weld pak 125. I'm not looking to do anything huge, and I figure by the time i have enough experience I
ll be able to afford a more powerful unit (and have 220v in my garage as well). I'm mostly going to be welding floorpans, my cargo area, and fix general rust holes in the old beast. What sort or projects have you guys done that are at least somewhat easy and are able to be welded with this welder? I know someone is going to tell me I should have just saved me money and bought a bigger 220v one, but that's really not a viable option for me and this was $275 shipped to my door I love ebay, and it's brand new!

I would be very interested in doing some rocker panel replacement that I've seen so many threads about on here. Do you think this machine will be able to handle it? I dont really go off road (yet?) so it wont see much more abuse than the crappy potholes around my town. Also, I'm curious about making some frame stiffeners to keep it a little more solid, has anyone ever done this? I was also thinking about doing a combination of the two and joining the two together. Basically, have the outside rocker replacement tube with two longer tubes running parallel and something like ladder steps in between them? I might bolt in the inner stiffeners for servicing the drivetrain.

Lets see some cool projects you guys have done, I know there are a lot of threads on this. Maybe we could keep it to projects for people that have little crappy welders? haha Thanks!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

first project should be writing your name in the snow with it!when you can do that you can pick any peoject you want.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6

build a roof rack
Old 11-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

I'm not so much of a roof rack kind of guy.... I am 99.9% on road, I've actually never had the chance to take it off road yet.. so I dont really need any equipment or spare tire up there. I'm reading up the the homemade sliders and they look awesome. My rocker panels are pretty much rusted out. I'll probably start with a little cart or something to roll the welder around in just to get a good feel for it. I'm super excited to get this thing in the mail, they sent it out today so it should be here soon. Thank god for friends with crappy cars too hahah I've got more than my fair share of holes to patch up already
Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 PM

custom light bar..or even just mounts for nice fogs
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 PM

First project should be a welding cart. Built mine 6 years ago...and one of my first welds just broke on it. Always a great project...and it gives you a chance to see your first welds every time you use the machine