Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Install Guide - H. D. Offroad Engineering Frame Stiffeners (Rear) 56k beware

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default Install Guide - H. D. Offroad Engineering Frame Stiffeners (Rear) 56k beware

Here is my guide on how to install the HD Engineering Rear Frame Stiffeners. I ordered the full set (front, middle and rear). As I complete the middle and front I will continue to post my guides on how I installed them. I am by no means a professional fabricator, just a shade tree mechanic so I’m not responsible for any issues you may come across following my guide. I'm just trying to help those out there who may be looking into these frame stiffeners.

As I have no past welding experience I decided to start with the rear frame stiffeners as they do not support as much weight as the front. I figured the more experienced I become from all the welding that these require, by the time I get to the front where the welds really matter I should have it down.

So let’s being shall we!

FedEx delivers the goods!!!

Name:  Rear1.jpg
Views: 2729
Size:  74.7 KB

As you can see from the pictures, they are shipped as is, not wrapped or boxed. 20lbs for the middle frame stiffeners and 26lbs for the front & rear. For a combined total of 46lbs added weight to the XJ. Beefy!!!

Name:  Rear2.jpg
Views: 2413
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  Rear3.jpg
Views: 2395
Size:  75.8 KB

The sets are tac welded together.

Name:  Rear4.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  Rear5.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  64.3 KB

Just use a grinder/cutting wheel and some screwdrivers to separate them all.

Name:  Rear6.jpg
Views: 2441
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  Rear7.jpg
Views: 2405
Size:  115.6 KB

Name:  Rear8.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  122.4 KB

Here they are laid out next to the XJ they will be installed on.

Name:  Rear9.jpg
Views: 2452
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  Rear10.jpg
Views: 2438
Size:  94.3 KB

The best way to make room while working on the rear is to jack the axle up just enough to remove the tire. Place jack under axle and then jack up on the gas take skid. My gas take just has the stock skid from the factory. It didn’t seem to bend or budge when lifting up the rear. Doing this will lower the axle/spring packs and tension bar allowing easier access to the rear frame.

Name:  Rear11.jpg
Views: 2420
Size:  112.8 KB

I started on the rear driver side. The first thing you will notice when checking out the rear is the body mounts. Sadly HD does not put notches in the frame stiffeners for this, but nothing a cutting wheel can’t take care of. Also on the driver side, you have to deal with the gas tank hoses.

Name:  Rear12.jpg
Views: 2423
Size:  79.1 KB
Name:  Rear13.jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  76.3 KB

Now the real fun begins. First thing that needs to be done is cutting out the access hole for the gas tank hoses.

Name:  Rear14.jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  103.3 KB
Name:  Rear15.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  156.6 KB

Next get a marker/chalk/whatever to mark where the notches will need to be cut to allow the frame stiffener to slide into place around the body mount.

Name:  Rear16.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  66.4 KB
Name:  Rear17.jpg
Views: 2443
Size:  76.7 KB

Once the marks have been made, take it over to the bench and begin cutting those notches out. This is a long process because of all the going back and forth to ensure the cuts are right, it fits, etc. After about the 5th time I decided to modify mine. I ended up cutting the rear access hole for the tank lines off. This way it could just slide into place without having to deal with the dang tank lines. My reasoning for doing this, the top part of the access hole (as pictured above) is very narrow and thin. And honestly not much is gained by leaving it on and trying to weld near the gas tank hoses. But this is my opinion, it is not required but did make it go a lot faster and easier. Luckily only the driver side has to deal with the gas tank hoses. The passenger side was a breeze to get mounted up.

Name:  Rear18.jpg
Views: 2409
Size:  114.8 KB

Name:  Rear19.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  158.7 KB

Once all the cutting has been made and everything aligns up, the grinding and welding can begin.

Name:  Rear20.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  85.3 KB
Name:  Rear21.jpg
Views: 2435
Size:  86.9 KB
Name:  Rear22.jpg
Views: 2862
Size:  65.9 KB

Grinding: I used a c-clamp to hold the frame stiffener in place and then took some primer paint and sprayed it on all the plug welds. This way I only had to grind off the undercoating on the spots that needed it. I don’t have any pictures of this process but the one below gives you a general idea.

Name:  Rear23.jpg
Views: 2496
Size:  84.3 KB

Welding: I used a Lincoln electric wire feed welder 135 amp. Settings I found to work best were, volts “C” and wire speed “2”. As I stated above, I have no previous welding experience at all. I did some practice welds on a bunch of old bolts laying around to get a general feel of how it all works. So please don’t hate on my welds, I know they are not the best or very pretty but the only way to learn is to do in my opinion.

I used some RustOleum and painted the back sides of both rear frame stiffeners in hopes of eliminating any future rust before welding them into place. As the rear frame bends, you will need some heavy duty c-clamps to bend the frame stiffeners to the frame. I used two 5” c-clamps and they worked great. I first made the mistake of working form the front to the back on the driver’s side, this was not a fun trial and error but it all worked out in the end, so start in the back and work your way forward. Again, START IN THE BACK AND WORK FORWARD!!
I also wrapped the gas tank hoses in very wet towl to avoid any fires. Name:  Rear24.jpg
Views: 2385
Size:  87.7 KB
Name:  Rear25.jpg
Views: 2421
Size:  71.5 KB
Name:  Rear26.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  90.7 KB
Name:  Rear27.jpg
Views: 4964
Size:  86.3 KB
Name:  Rear28.jpg
Views: 4867
Size:  105.7 KB

Here are some pictures from the passenger’s side frame stiffeners being welded on.

Name:  Rear29pass.jpg
Views: 6587
Size:  100.3 KB
Name:  Rear30pass.jpg
Views: 3629
Size:  100.5 KB
Name:  Rear31pass.jpg
Views: 2384
Size:  79.6 KB
Name:  Rear32pass.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  103.8 KB
Name:  Rear33pass.jpg
Views: 2400
Size:  104.7 KB

Once all the welding is done, I took a grinder and cleaned up some of the plug welds so they looked a little nicer. I then painted them with RustOleum gloss black and painted both sides. Here are some pictures of the final product installed.

Name:  Rear34.jpg
Views: 2380
Size:  81.8 KB
Name:  Rear35.jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  76.5 KB
Name:  Rear36.jpg
Views: 2401
Size:  72.0 KB
Name:  Rear37.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  47.8 KB

It took me a good two days to complete this project. I did this by myself, so it might not take as long if you have some help. Hope this helped and stay tuned for the middle and front guides soon to come.

Feel free to post comments/questions…Cheers!

Last edited by kissthis66; 11-26-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

My only suggestion involves weld prep. Grind off the undercoating, and grind of the mill coating before welding. Will make the puddle act normal and minimize the popping and contamination in your welds.

ALso add some stitch welding along the top and bottom.... like weld 3" skip 6"

Lastly WHen donme grind down all the welds and re fill them in. Then Paint.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by PingPong
My only suggestion involves weld prep. Grind off the undercoating, and grind of the mill coating before welding. Will make the puddle act normal and minimize the popping and contamination in your welds.
I did this and stated above:
Grinding: I used a c-clamp to hold the frame stiffener in place and then took some primer paint and sprayed it on all the plug welds. This way I only had to grind off the undercoating on the spots that needed it. I don’t have any pictures of this process but the one below gives you a general idea.

ALso add some stitch welding along the top and bottom.... like weld 3" skip 6"
After speaking with my neighbor who is a professional welder, I decided against doing any extra stitch welding. He told me with as many plug welds as there are, the extra stitching isn't necessary on the these rear stiffeners. And that when you over weld a metal it will actually weaken it. This was just what I was informed of, I have no first hand knowledge if this is true or not, but the guy seems to know his stuff so I took his advice and ran with it. Besides, I doubt I will ever be twisting my Jeep enough to have to worry about these things breaking off.

Lastly WHen donme grind down all the welds and re fill them in. Then Paint.
I was told doing this would weaken the weld. Is this true?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

no it wont. you just want good penetration onto the circumference of the holes using all the metal thats available. there is no such thing as a welder who hasn't ground a weld and redone it.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

I would definately do some mmore reading about installing these. Everyone I have seen advertised recommends stitch welding.... I personally dimple died my stiffners, and then welded them completely, but MY rig is also chop toped, with a bunch of other crap welded to it.

I always completely remove all mill scale as well as all of the undercoating from the frame rails. It removes most of the contaminents in your welds. A defect in a weld is a bad thing.

As for technique when welding up rossete welds... I start at the bottom.. and mover around the rossette, then will in the center. After all the welds are done.. I come back with my grinder, and grind all the welds smooth. I really like ppl not noticing that my rig has stiffners or many other m0ds.. kinda like them thinking my rig is a pile of crap.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

lookin good man
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 AM

thanks, well i finally got the middle section installed, been really busy. will post my pics and what not here in the next week or so. so far i love it!!! well worth the $$$ for this set!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

I plan on getting this complete stiffener set as well and in my research I found a good post about welding to the uniframe
post #14 http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...e-tie-ins.html
Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

nice work on taking the time to document the process. progress looks good.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I would like to add to weld prep by saying use weld through primer on both the frame and the back of the stiffeners to prevent corrosion. Use it all the time in auto body its basically mandated for any metal to metal contact. Looks great!

Edit: I see you did use the primer. Disregard my post

Last edited by hearsedriver; 01-11-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: read to fast
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 AM

Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

nice job. Tips will be handy when it comes to weld mine on!
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: inline 6 4.0 ho

This thread just finalized my dicision on wether or not to get frame stiffeners! That's a solid write up on your process man! Props! so my question is where can you get weld through primer at?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 AM

Year: 1998

havent seem it mentioned but are you guys unhooking the vehicle battery to reduce any chance of a voltage spike taking out the pcm/ecm
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by kennzz05
havent seem it mentioned but are you guys unhooking the vehicle battery to reduce any chance of a voltage spike taking out the pcm/ecm
Yes, thanks for mentioning this.

Quick Reply: Install Guide - H. D. Offroad Engineering Frame Stiffeners (Rear) 56k beware