Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

I dont know what to do about my A.C....read and comment on this...thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I dont know what to do about my A.C....read and comment on this...thanks!

I just bought a 98 Cherokee 4.0 My wife doesnt want to go without A.C. I could go without it. But anyway, my older brothers have worked as mechanics all their life and say not to mess with the Cherokee A.C. if it breaks because its expensive and the evaporator is very hard to get to.
I know Advanced sells a pulley to eliminate the compressor. Right now I know for sure that the Compressor went bad, the clutches are fryed. But what to do- replace the compressor and hope the evaporator keeps working or eliminate the A.C. I guess what I'm asking is, except for decreasing the re-sell value of my cherokee, is their a list of advantages for eliminating the A.C.? I have seen somthing about switching to a air compressor- I have no idea what that entails. thanks for any suggestions you can give me.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

An argument could be made for slight power improvements by not having to turn an engaged compressor or slight weight savings if you remove the compressor, but pretty much, no - no benefits to going without air. There's no reason to think your evaporator would fail down the road (the evaporator is the "heater core" type unit in the blower ducts that transfers the cold -to put it simply), nothing to break down. If you mean the accumulator (or drier), you could get by without replacing if your clutch is the only failure on your compressor. If the compressor seized up and caused the clutch to go out, you should plan on replacing the drier also, because it is basically the filter for the system and would be contaminated by any broken pieces from inside the compressor. Also, any replacement compressor's warranty would be voided if you didn't replace the drier when you replace the compressor. I see NAPA has a reman compressor for $224 or a new one for $319 and another $35 for the drier and $46 for the orifice tube (a screen necessary for warranty coverage). And of course, refrigerant and oil... So, yes, it is pricey - probably the only benefit is it would save you money now. Russ
Old 06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Well since the wife wants A/C I would just do it if you want to keep her happy. Its not like shes asking you to get rid of the cherokee after all. She is asking you to improve your cherokee by fixing the air.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:27 PM

Well I got my pulley so that my rig will run! Had to buy a new compressor. I have the electri plug undone right now so that it wont come on while defrost is on, plus I dont want to spend the money on getting the lines vaced or charged up. I did put a flowmaster exhaust on it recently, it sounds good and has more pick up. Anyone recommend the aftermarket air tube and filter?