Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

How to paint panels in jeep!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6
Default How to paint panels in jeep!?

OKAY ya'll this is driving me crazy... I have a 1989 jeep cherokee passed down from my brother it maroon inside... and I'm changing it to black. WELL i took out all the panels, washed them very well and painted them black. The paint WONT stay on and its making me upset because I've tried a couple of paints and it scratches off.... I've used rustolem and kylon and some other paint. I even used plastic primer before too. I've also used vinyl paint for the door panels... and it does the same!!! ): what am I doing wrong. PLEASEEEEE help! I'm tired of spending money and feeling like I'm putting work into it for nothing ): It's my first car. Thank Ya'll SO much! Please no rude comments
Old 11-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

the panels might not be as clean as you think. the texture on the panels can hide a lot of crap. try cleaning it with a brush. not a wire brush though since it'll scuff the surface a lot. after cleaning it, let it dry for a while, overnight or so. then use a lint free cloth to wipe the surface of any remaining dust. when you paint, try using a special paint/primer that is designed for plastic. these paints/primers have a special chemical in them that bonds to plastic. make sure to use multiple coats and make sure there's a good coat on the edges since that's where paint chips from first. if it wont stick to the edges pray some paint into a small plastic container and and use a small brush to brush it on the edge. also, make sure you use multiple coats of paint and primer. the previous owner could have really liked the interior and used cleaners on it that wont come off with a simple rub. that's why you really need to scrub it with a brush. if you do all this and it doesn't work, then the surface needs to be sanded. if that's the case then you're looking at a lot of trouble for nothing.

also, my interior is maroon/burgundy/red/cordovan or whatever people have called it before, if you're interested I would love to buy your interior panels including doors. depending on condition of course.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

also use a product called PAINT PREP. you spray it on and wipe it off. you think you could get the panels clean with soap and water but paint prep will remove any oily residue. I use it on all my stuff now. works amazing
Old 11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

soap, expecially dish soap, leaves behind a residue that paint wont stick too.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

2X on the paint prep. Stuff is awesome. Also if u can get the paint in a can then id try using an spray gun which will allow several light coats to be applied and u will have much more even coats and a better chance of it sticking. Good luck man!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:00 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.7 stroker

I paint plastic equipment at work all he time. We had to get an adhesion promoter to get the paint to stay. I'm not sure where we got it from but it works perfect. Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Wipe the parts with acetone or lacqure (spelling?) thinner. Odds are the interior was ArmorAlled or the previous owner(s) were smokers. Thinner works great. PrepSol is a paint prep solvent, its will work too to getany grease or ArmorAll off the parts.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.6 stroker

U can get adhesion promoter at any of the parts stores. I use it on anything plastic that im painting
Old 12-04-2011, 10:57 AM

Year: 89
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.8L V8

I'm sure you've done this, but was not mentioned in any replies. Did you sand/scuff the door first? If not, use a red scotch brite pad and scuff up the panels first. That will give the paint something to stick to.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter

x2 on the red scotchbrite and then use Bulldog adhesion promotor.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

If you want to save money on adhesion promotor you can use rubbing alcohol. We use it all the time before painting plastic. just tack surface off with a tack rag before painting. We also use Sprayway glass cleaner on plastic it cleans and reduces static. x3 on the red scotch bright get rid of all shine.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Use truck bed liner!