Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

How to make a safety switch/kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How to make a safety switch/kill switch

I came up with a little idea on how to keep someone from stealing your vehicle. It's a very simple process. all the design does is cuts off your ignition switch to the starter motor.

1. Car battery 12v
2. Battery switch ( can't think of the correct term, i will come back and edit )
3. Ignition switch. ( on the steering console, you put your car key into )
4. Starter motor
5. Standard toggle switch

By looking at the picture below, you can see the VERY simple concept of how to turn your starter motor on and off. All the battery switch does, is allows you to turn a large or high amount of voltage using a small switch (aka ignition switch). All the toggle switch does, is cuts off the ignition switch to the battery switch, which breaks the circuit. when you get out of your vehicle, you can flip the toggle switch, and it will make it impossible to start your vehicle with just the ignition switch. Could be used to trick your friends, keeps thief's from hot wiring your car successfully and many other uses.

*NOTE* this is NOT a tested design yet, once the weather clears up i will try this on my Jeep and see how the results come back.

edit* process confirmed!

Last edited by Crawler374; 10-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Similar idea:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/ins...ch-10-a-27099/
Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by Crawler374
I came up with a little idea on how to keep someone from stealing your vehicle. It's a very simple process. all the design does is cuts off your ignition switch to the starter motor.

1. Car battery 12v
2. Battery switch ( can't think of the correct term, i will come back and edit )
3. Ignition switch. ( on the steering console, you put your car key into )
4. Starter motor
5. Standard toggle switch

By looking at the picture below, you can see the VERY simple concept of how to turn your starter motor on and off. All the battery switch does, is allows you to turn a large or high amount of voltage using a small switch (aka ignition switch). All the toggle switch does, is cuts off the ignition switch to the battery switch, which breaks the circuit. when you get out of your vehicle, you can flip the toggle switch, and it will make it impossible to start your vehicle with just the ignition switch. Could be used to trick your friends, keeps thief's from hot wiring your car successfully and many other uses.

*NOTE* this is NOT a tested design yet, once the weather clears up i will try this on my Jeep and see how the results come back.
A couple of suggestions:

First, you need to make sure that solenoid is continuous duty. You will probably have to order one.

Second, the coils on those solenoids draw considerable amperage. You will need to make sure the switch is rated for it.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 I6

very nice lol
Old 10-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
A couple of suggestions:

First, you need to make sure that solenoid is continuous duty. You will probably have to order one.

Second, the coils on those solenoids draw considerable amperage. You will need to make sure the switch is rated for it.

I have confirmed the idea. It works.

Negative, there are 4 ports on the sylinoid, 2 + and 2 -. one of each is for the battery, the other 2 are for a small switch. I used a toggle, and it works like a champ! All that comes on is the fuel pump.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Southernrebel
very nice lol

haha thanks man
Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 AM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 HO

I like it!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Crawler374
Negative, there are 4 ports on the sylinoid, 2 + and 2 -. one of each is for the battery, the other 2 are for a small switch.
This is where you're wrong. The factory starting system has a solenoid ( attached to the starter) and a "starter relay." The relay is used to take the *roughly* 3 amp load, (that the control circuit of a solenoid introduces to it) and route it through the relay. A relays control circuit does not require as much amps to activate. (something like .1 amps). Your ignition switch is not rated for 3 amps! As a matter of fact, your standard toggle switch at radio shack is only rated for 3 amps (you're going to want to have a "safety factor" of at least 1.5) (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062494)

"Q: How much current does the control circuit in a solenoid draw?

Generally, the control circuit for a continuous duty solenoid rated at 12V DC draws about 0.70 of an ampere. The control circuit for a 24V DC continuous duty solenoid draws about 0.34A. An intermittent duty 12V DC solenoid draws about 2.73A, and the 24V DC about 0.83A. "

"Q. Can you use a continuous duty solenoid in place of an intermittent duty solenoid? Yes, you can use a Continuous Duty Solenoid, but it would have a shorter life expectancy compared to the Intermittent Duty Solenoid.

But you cannot use an Intermittent Duty Solenoid in place of a Continuous Duty Solenoid!"

An intermittent solenoid would be the correct one to have for starting duties, not a continuous