Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Homemade shackle relocation brackets?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99xj 97TJ 96XJ, 87 woody
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Homemade shackle relocation brackets?

I'm looking to build a set of rear shackle relocation brackets.
This is a never ending project. I started building a new rear bumper as I did not have one and the old mounting brackets all bolts are broken off.
I opened up my rear pockets to allow access to the inner frame.
I thought why not improve where needed. Right Now I have a 3/8" x 2" flat bar sliding in the inner frame with holes drilled for a new nut strip.
I would like more metal to support a new bumper and hitch. The spring bolt gets in the way. So I figure why not make it better all around. Drop the spring hanger to allow the spring to set at a 45 degree angle. Open up the inner frame to allow more metal to slide in.
I have looked at rough country and HD set.
I have seen some where people use box tube and cut it at an angle. Only able to get close enough to the fuel filler. Then cut a hole for the spring hanger bolt. ( To install bumper must remove upper sping hanger bolt. Not fun in a 87 rusty XJ)
Is it possible to cut off the extra spring hanger bolt that extends into the frame?
Any pictures of homemade setups?

Last edited by Lowes; 08-15-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:45 AM
d50

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive thought about cutting that bolt too i dont see any reason for it being that long. i think its that long because all the other ones are that long so they probably just used the same bolts for all three bushings on the leaf so they wouldnt have to make a shorter bolt. if you look at all three there exactly the same.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99xj 97TJ 96XJ, 87 woody
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by d50
ive thought about cutting that bolt too i dont see any reason for it being that long. i think its that long because all the other ones are that long so they probably just used the same bolts for all three bushings on the leaf so they wouldnt have to make a shorter bolt. if you look at all three there exactly the same.
I thought the same thing. I would really be great to free up some room if the bolt was not so long. I thought If I built shackle relocation I would address the long bolt. I'm not looking forward to taking it out as it looks like dead rusty cancer. I did order a set of HD Engineering shackle relocation brackets. I think I will put this on the New XJ as it a DD and want better road manners.