Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Homebrew Roof Rack,Rear Bumper,Int. Mods. ALL FREE!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight six
Default Homebrew Roof Rack,Rear Bumper,Int. Mods. ALL FREE!!!

So I Literally just Got started on a roof rack today made up of an old piece of jail bar looking fence i had laying behind my garage and had forgotten about until i noticed it today looking for other scrap metal

Here It is

So I decided to weld up all the joints to ensure they're ugly and strong all I do is Gorilla Welds

Im going to add a second ring to make it like a basket so far I have 8 inch side brackets for the ring mad of 1x1 1/4 flat stock I'm using 12 total to ensure stability I'm not sure how I'll mount it to the jeep yet but I'm going to leave the stock rack on underneath and make this one semi quick change

Here's some welding and grinding photos

As you can see its sturdy enough to hold me sitting on it as is but i just wanna add to it to make sure more to go and will update as soon as i get more done

Hears my rear bumper 4x1 3/4x1/4 C channel 4x4x1/4 square tubing 6x4x1/4 plates bolted in stock position and 6x4x1/4 to weld to the square tube and C channel then some plates to weld onto the bottom and mount a pair of old suburban tow hooks yanked from the local yard I want them big to use as steps, its in pieces now just gotta take it to a buddy who's a better welder

meanwhile hears some more free mods I've done parden the crap photos it was dark and I took them before I left to go to the lake with some 4x4 friends

Middle fog light

Cup holder and CB location

CB Mic holder works amazing here

Condor tactical molle butt pack stores gortex bdu jacket knee pads gloves some gauze bandages and an arm sling so far

Tool bag holds 10x4 tow strap and 15' chain with J hook for now

Headrest Holster for those intense airsoft battles

Well that's it for now more to come soon
Ps All the metal I got for $$FREE$$ even the beer in the welding picture was free
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Well I got the square tube welded to the brackets that will be welded into the C channel
I know the welds are terrible I'm using flux core I'm going to pick up a bottle of Argon tomorrow to hook up and weld it clean

Bumper should be done by Monday. Unfortunately I have a wake to attend tomorrow night and funeral Saturday morning. A sad loss of a great person.
Attached Thumbnails Homebrew Roof Rack,Rear Bumper,Int. Mods. ALL FREE!!!-zi6_0140.jpg   Homebrew Roof Rack,Rear Bumper,Int. Mods. ALL FREE!!!-zi6_0141.jpg  
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 PM

All new roof rack design. Chopped the old one in half and used a chain link fence gate for the top ring so I have a square base and a rounded square top. I also left some extra when I cut the base in half for work light mounts on the rear. Mounts to the roof by the pre existing luggage rack with U bolts led strobes will be mounted and I should have it on by this weekend for my Birthday on Friday.