Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

HID instal goes haywire

Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HID instal goes haywire

I was installing HID's today and ran into some weird issue. First I worked on the left headlight. If im facing the jeep its my left.

I installed everything correctly and plugged the ballast into the power and turned on the jeep. Flipped to highbeams ( since the particular set was a solo-beam set and only works on high beam settings) and it turned on. Simple enough!

At this point the left light was HID and the right was still halogen. Snapped a pic to see the difference and began working on the right headlight. I disconnected the right halogen light while it was still on and kept working on installing the Ballast. Before powering up the ballast into the power harness in the jeep, i disconnected the battery.

Plugged it in, screwed everything all in, connected battery, and shut the hood. Turned on the lights, set to high beam and now NOTHING happens in the initial light i installed. The Left light is recieving no power when the highbeam is on.

I plugged the old light in and found it has power when the low beam is on but as soon as i plug the high beam on it shuts off. Apparently the low beam shutting off when switching over to high beam is normal, minus the fact that the highbeam doesnt come on in my case

Im pretty frustrated at this point and need help. It was just working!!! Now i dont know where to turn, I have no Jeep manual and no idea where the other fuse box is. ( NOT THE FUSE BOX UNDER THE HOOD) I found a diagram that states there is another fuse box under the kicker panel....where is this please?

Any ideas of what this could be?

Last edited by Rivalfox; 03-15-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

its behind the passenger side kick panel on right in front of the passeger door, also with hids and the cherokees they sometimes act weird cause there is a relay behind the drivers side knee panel under the steering wheel thats for the auto off headlights and that makes the hids act weird, i unplugged mine and finally i can normally use my hids
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM

found the kickerpanel...all fuses regarding headlights (#3 #4 #5) are all good....so now im stumped.

How could just my left headlight highbeam stop functioning?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: i6

I just installed some in my 06 civic and a wire going to my ballast pulled out of its "harness" and was just dangling, i shoved it back in and taped the it all up and is working beautifully now, just go back and check all the wires is what i'm saying
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

I did that,i checked the ballast and made sure it worked by plugging the whole assembly into the right light. worked fine

I plugged a normal light into the left and low beam works, but no high beam. Only the high beam on the right goes on. Wtf
Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rivalfox
I did that,i checked the ballast and made sure it worked by plugging the whole assembly into the right light. worked fine

I plugged a normal light into the left and low beam works, but no high beam. Only the high beam on the right goes on. Wtf
Check your relay. It might be bad. Not letting it switch to high beams. I don't know if each headlight has its own relay or if they operate off of 1 relay.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

seen this before the harness between the hid bulb and the ballast are reversable meaning if u flip the plug in your hand it will plug in that way as well. more common the the hid kits where that harness has to black wires instead of a black and red. also seen the two wires reversed from the manufacturer was more popular with early chinese kits.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by aquickmopar
Check your relay. It might be bad. Not letting it switch to high beams. I don't know if each headlight has its own relay or if they operate off of 1 relay.
Can anyone show me which relay this is in my fuse box?