Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Heat shield fabrication?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)
Default Heat shield fabrication?

Not sure if I should have posted this in Fabrication, but I wasn't sure, so here goes! I want to fab up something simple for a heat-shield for my exhaust manifold to keep my injectors cooler and more protected from heat from the manifold. (particularly the #3 injector, prone to heat soak/fuel vapor build up because of how close it is).

I was thinking about just using a piece of sheet metal (Tin or galvanized aluminum maybe?) to form a shield over the manifold, any thoughts or ideas for/on this? Also, where might I mount it if I fabbed one up?

All ideas are appreciated!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ho

im not sure how this will work for the manifold but this is the best i could find
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
im not sure how this will work for the manifold but this is the best i could find
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tp...action=product

I went to autozone today, and they had something similar to that, I could maybe wrap the injector in that material to keep the heat off of it, but then I thought of just fabbing some sheet metal up to cover the whole thing. If I can't get any ideas for this shield, I'll just go to home depot I suppose and ask if they've got some insulating material that would work for wrapping the injector.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry
I went to autozone today, and they had something similar to that, I could maybe wrap the injector in that material to keep the heat off of it, but then I thought of just fabbing some sheet metal up to cover the whole thing. If I can't get any ideas for this shield, I'll just go to home depot I suppose and ask if they've got some insulating material that would work for wrapping the injector.
you can just do heat wraps on the manifold as well
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
you can just do heat wraps on the manifold as well

Well, if I can, I want to just fab a single layer of tin or aluminum to create a barrier between the two and provide some heat reflection. Nothing fancy, just need some help with ideas for it.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry
Well, if I can, I want to just fab a single layer of tin or aluminum to create a barrier between the two and provide some heat reflection. Nothing fancy, just need some help with ideas for it.
yea,performance over looks,aleast thats how i see it,just whatever works best and if you do this i would like to know what u use and how good it worked cause im interested in doin that as well
Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: classified information
Engine: .30 over 4.0
Question

Heat wrapping the header will work better. A heat shield(metal)could hold a lot of heat & make it harder for fresh air to circulate. Heat wrap will contain the heat & push it on down the line. Vents or a scoop will lower compartment temps. Wrapping the Injector would hold in heat imo. I wouldn't think you'd want to wrap the intake as the aluminum couldn't cool like it should. If your set on a shield it definitely should be aluminum. You could mount it off your header studs maybe? I've used header wrap on muscle cars & it works awesome. I'm wrapping my header in a couple days & going with a huge hole in the hood covered with a cowl scoop to keep my engine compartment nice & cool. I have thought bout cutting the webbing out from between the intake runners to promote better air flow.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

i got some heat sheilding tape from summit racing and wraped 2 layers of it around each injector, i had a baaad problem with heat soak, especially when wheeling,, been on 4 months and hasent heat soaked yet.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

I'd be concerned why your having bad heat soak in winter temps, wheeln or no wheeln. & I don't doubt you haven't had a problem in 4months, as its winter time. Wonder if your heat wrapping the injectors will have the same effect when temps get up in the 80s-90s & above? Keep us updated as summer comes around.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 PM

Well, heat soaking hasn't happened bad to me, but I can tell the idle gets a little rougher when I'm doing a long drive or wheeling a bit. Want to just wrap those injectors or shield them with some galvanized aluminum to make sure they aren't being affected so much by the heat from the manifold.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 liter

Just remove your hood! Im sure you'll get some nice airflow to keep them cool!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 AM
Seasoned Member

I've thought about a heat shield a few times but since my intake & header are actually off & actually looking with thoughts of a heat shield leaves me thinking its not gonna happen or if it did happen it'll be a lot of time making something & it'll actually work against what you want to achieve. When intake & header are mounted there's like a 1/2" between the intake port & the exhaust port(header).if you happen to get a piece of metal between them it'll just get heated by exhaust & be that much closer to the intake & Injector. Not to mention being a nightmare mod getting that metal shaped perfect to fit up in that 1/2" wavy gap(its not gonna happen). Wrapping your header & cutting out the webbing on intake is the way to go. Imo. Go out & actually look where the intake & header bolt up, how the webbing is notched up so the header tucks up in it, trapping the heat under it. The shield would have to weave up over header & down below intake. If it were made it'll make the heating problem worse, guarantee it!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Engine: 4.0

anyone ever heat wrapped a stock manifold? and did it help at all? I'd lve to reduce my intake temp and this seems the best way to do it, as well as making my warm air into an actual cold air, which might happen today if I'm not lazy, lol
Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

This is a something I came across that I want to do, a heat shield
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeShield.htm
I have also seen a guy wrap his injectors and fuel rail with header tape looked good
Old 04-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Awesome info! Heat shield, header wrap, wrap njectors & rail. Heat shield looks simple too

Quick Reply: Heat shield fabrication?