Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

The Dana 30 re-do.....or 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default The Dana 30 re-do.....or 2.0

After a snap a front out stub........sometime over the summer. Could have been a work weekend for Jeep Jamboree or the actual Jambo, I decided to pull the Dana 30 and go thru it after about 6 years of abuse and neglect.

So, I decided post up a build thread to follow and document the process.

Here's an old pic of what I started with.

98 D30 HP, 4.56's, lockright, MM hub kit, WJ kunckles & brakes, JKS steering, RE HD Trackbar, stock inner shafts, and DIY steering stablizer mounting bracket.

This set-up has served me very well through the years and while I have big plans for a 609 front. Its just not in the cards, since that next step comes with 37's new wheels, etc. So, I decided to just freshen up this set-up, fix some of the weak-links (insert D30 weak-link jokes here) and run it for a couple of more years.

So first thing I did was pull the entire set-up, cut off the factory trackbar bracket, and then send it out for sandblasting. I also ordered a few parts and there will be more pics as IO progress through this project. But here's where the axle stands as of last night. New JKS trackbar bracket and ruffstuff shock mounts are welded up.

Don't worry more pics to come
Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

So I take it your going OTK? More detailed pictures please.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by s14unimog
So I take it your going OTK? More detailed pictures please.
Yes, converting over to a 1 ton steering set-up, which will be OTK. Using Ruffstuff's kit 1 ton kit with his offset TRE's for the Tie-rod, to help clear my Bluetorch Fab Diff cover.

I plan on taking more detailed pics tonight as I make progress. These were taking as I was walking out the door this morning.....I was thinking, you know I should probably document this somehow....as to have a place to "write" down all the details of the parts I am using. So not only can I remember them, but also to help out anybody who needs them.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Right on. I was looking at something to do with my current D30 setup. I'm running a ruffstuff 3/8" cover and I'm having interference issues with the knuckle to knuckle tie rod I'm running. I had looked into those offset tie rods but I wonder if it won't be a pain to control the TRE roll. Are you running yours draglink over to the knuckle?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by s14unimog
Right on. I was looking at something to do with my current D30 setup. I'm running a ruffstuff 3/8" cover and I'm having interference issues with the knuckle to knuckle tie rod I'm running. I had looked into those offset tie rods but I wonder if it won't be a pain to control the TRE roll. Are you running yours draglink over to the knuckle?

Yes, I plan on running the Draglink OTK also. I am not too concerned about Tierod roll with these offset TRE's. With my last tie-rod, JKS, uses WJ TRE's which also have an offset to them. Never noticed any issue with the tie-rod rolling, even with a steering dampener attached do it.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

It's probably b/c yours doesn't grab the tie rod but rather pushes the knuckle (from your pictures). That's the way to do it it seems. Mine rolls b/c my drag link grabs the tire rod on the bar, so I've machined spacers to limit the TRE roll.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Here's a different shot of the old set-up. It shows the steering dampener set-up a little better. From the way it looks, the tie-rod would do both push and pull the dampener......so I guess maybe there was roll.....but again not noticeable or bothersome for me.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Ya, I doubt you had TRE roll with that setup. I should have noticed that your drag link went over to your knuckle.

Here is mine, you can see the spacers I installed (aluminum) to control the rolling. Stupid Rusty's junk; I should have done more research about TRE roll effects; creates one hell of a dead spot.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 AM

Here's a couple more up close (detail) pics of the axle side trackbar mount.

And now a couple of the shock mounts. I had these left over from when I did my Ford 9 swap. They were included in the Ruffstuff axle swap kit. Since I used the factory XJ mount on my 9, these were just laying around.

Now we all know how weak the passenger side upper control arm tower it, right? If you have ever had to replace the bushings, you know exactly what I am talking about. So, I decided something needed to be done. First, I welded up a inner spacer just below the bushing holes. Its a piece of 1 x 3/16 tab I had from another project.

Then welded that in.

Finally, I used a piece of cardboard as a templet and cut, fit and welded up a full wrap around face for the tower.

I am pretty happy with the results!
Next, on to the upper control arms. I had a set of adjustable RE short arms that after 7 years of abuse and multiple joint rebuild......gave up the ghost. Well..........I didn't feel like dealing with the joints again and I hated finding (ordering) new 10mm hardware everytime one bolt seized up or I had to cut the joint out. New England winters are hard on parts. Enter Ruffstuff!!! I picked up a set of 3/4" Rod Ends with all the fixin's for joints. Cannibalized the RE arms for the front 2" wide forks and then went to work. The tubing is 1.5" x .25 wall.

mmmmm.............5/8" hardware for the Rod Ends and yes, that is 1/2" hardware in the factory upper control arm bushings. Bonus of having a little machine shop at your dissposal!!! Here's a pic for comparison, this is a grade 8 10mm bolt (yes, you can get grade 8 metric bolts.......Mcmaster.com) next to a grade 8, 1/2" bolt.......which one would you prefer?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM

So the next step for me was to machine in a couple of wrench flats in my tubing adapters, as to have a decent spot to grab on to when tightening down the jam nuts.

Add it all together and............MMMM.......BEEFY upper control arms

Next I had to figure out just how I was going to fit the standard width (2") rod end adapter into the 1.6" wide trackbar mount???

OH WAIT!! I have a lathe at my disposal.....so I turned this...

Into this........

Now everything fits like its suppose to...

Now on to the frameside bracket. If anybody has ever bolted up a RE HD trackbar bracket they know that one of the 12MM bolt heads is impossible to get to with a socket, so box end wrench is your only option. Well, bolting up is fine.....taking it off........well after a few winters....can be a little interesting. Here was my solution...HAHA!!!

My plan it to somehow weld in support, but keep it open for a deep-well impact socket access. Haven't figured it out yet.....but I have a couple of ideas.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:07 AM

The following is just a few show off pics of parts I've accumulated for this build.
Swung by RockKrawler and picked up a set of new brake lines. Busy shop, but understandable for SEMA coming up. Talked with Jeremy and the guys for a few minutes, great guys and would definitely buy from them again. Plus a set of outer axle seals I picked up off ebay.

New Chromoly Shafts

New set of coils

The following is what happens when a fabricator's welders gives up the ghost on a weekend. And we all know, welding stores aren't open on the weekends.........or after 5pm for that matter.......sometimes 4:30pm, LOL!!!
New brake calipers and Chevy 1-ton TRES all painted up

The TRE's are part of Ruffstuff's GM cross-over steering kit, with their high-angle drag-link and offset TRE's
MM hubs cleaned and painted

Now on to the WJ knuckles. As you can see, they have the JKS spacers welded up and are drilled out for the Ruffstuff 1-ton TRE's adapters.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

looks awesome man... that's one purdy turdy... got one myself that i have the same aspirations for... definitely gonna keep an eye on this

really like the idea with the shock mounts, 2" lift from factory mount?... u gonna be trussin/inner sleeving it?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

hell ya man, you weren't kidding. +1 on the machining work. I love turning out a part. Keep the pictures coming.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by xj^REMY
looks awesome man... that's one purdy turdy... got one myself that i have the same aspirations for... definitely gonna keep an eye on this

really like the idea with the shock mounts, 2" lift from factory mount?... u gonna be trussin/inner sleeving it?
Not sure about the truss or sleeve yet. I could swing by RK and pick up there truss of fab something myself. Or call up Polyperformance and go with their sleeve kit......just not sure. Really haven't looking into it....though....I probably should....seeing as I have the axle on the bench.

As far as the shocks go....I am running 12" 5150's up front. I replaced the upper eyelet with a DIY stud style mounting a while back. Just an IYF, the top stud on the 5150's is 12 x 1MM. I had to ordered the nuts fro McMaster and then welded a 3/8's bolt to it and BOOM.....Stud mount. If anyone wants a set od 12 x1MM nuts, just let me know....I have a few laying around They come in quantity bags from McMaster.

And for the bottom mount I was running custom angle brackets that gave about a 1" lift from the factory mount. But had these shocks laying around and decided not to de-rust the old ones and go with new.

I am planning on building custom hieght bumpstops to match exposed shocl travel, once I swing the axle under the Jeep on its own wieght.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

hey, u'r puttin in alloys, over axle track bar, beefed up CA mount, 1-ton TRE's, hub conversion, WJ knuckles, & lower skids... might as well add go all out with a truss/sleeve & inner C gussets, no?... tho with RK's truss u'd have to re-do ur passenger mount right?.. & sleeving it, probably would call for different outer axle seals than the ones u got...

too bad u didnt still have the eyelet on the bilsteins...

this'll be my upper shock mount one day...

Quick Reply: The Dana 30 re-do.....or 2.0