Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Cargo area tire mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cargo area tire mount

What do you guys think for this. Pros and cons? a 35 krawler is my spare. customer just did this in his xj and saw it today. thinking of doing this. thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Year: 1996

Reading some other posts and having experienced it a little myself.....Tires stink! No, not like they suck or anything, I mean to your nose...they stink! Especially on a hot day, the rubber odor gave me a headache. Better off with a roof rack or rear bumper carrier. As they say a whole bunch in this forum, "Just my two cents"

But I really wanna know more about that rear bumper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by 1904-96xj
Reading some other posts and having experienced it a little myself.....Tires stink! No, not like they suck or anything, I mean to your nose...they stink! Especially on a hot day, the rubber odor gave me a headache. Better off with a roof rack or rear bumper carrier. As they say a whole bunch in this forum, "Just my two cents"

But I really wanna know more about that rear bumper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
um this is a trail rig not a dd. I have busted out windows and dont care what the tire smells like. he built that rear bumper, said he copied it from a company that sell it.

roof racks are stupid. it raises your center of gravity and IF you wheel your rig you dont want that. had a carrier and after 6 months of wheeling it was bent into a pretzel.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I have my 35 on the inside but it's upright. Mounted some angle iron to the factory mount to raise it and bolted the tire to it with some all rod. Doesn't take up as much space that way. Haven't noticed the smell but mine is a trail rig as well. Had a swing out bumper carrier on another XJ and my YJ, constantly hit the tire on rocks and climbing hills. Don't get me started on the cons of putting it on the roof.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:03 PM

Ha..yeah, you're right, the trail rigs don't have to worry about as much as the DD's. Besides, if I had the tire on the inside, where would all the groceries from Costco go? (..yeah, mine's been accused of being a grocery getter, but whatever )
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche

Ha..yeah, you're right, the trail rigs don't have to worry about as much as the DD's. Besides, if I had the tire on the inside, where would all the groceries from Costco go? (..yeah, mine's been accused of being a grocery getter, but whatever )
Thats what the fold up rear seat is for. Also I dont notice the smell from mine.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM

...are kids too top heavy for the roof then?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by tuxfan212
Thats what the fold up rear seat is for. Also I dont notice the smell from mine.
...are kids too top heavy for the roof then?
what do these ^ posts have to do with my thread?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 AM

I like it. Of course it would have to be mounted securely and all that, if it sits flat on the rear floor you could do the same thing but have the rack above it for storage instead sinse the seat angles back and therefore has less room the higher the tire sits. Then you could use the seat still if you want, if not, mount it more forward and maybe even at a angle to give it more show..?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:29 AM

I like it. Of course it would have to be mounted securely and all that, if it sits flat on the rear floor you could do the same thing but have the rack above it for storage instead sinse the seat angles back and therefore has less room the higher the tire sits. Then you could use the seat still if you want, if not, mount it more forward and maybe even at a angle to give it more show..?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Year: 2000

It looks to me like an obstruction of your view.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: bombproof i6

Originally Posted by BLACKSPORT
can yuo actually fit a 35 between the backof your seat and the liftgate? i couldnt even get my 33 in without putting it on an angle...it was a while back but i dont remember there being that much room.

Originally Posted by MAN00XJ
yeah thats what i was thinking, maybe if it was down lower somehow it would be better.

XJOFFROAD - as you have stated this is just a trail rig. do you still have the rear seat in/is it up? because if not there's probibally lots of room and better spots to put it that would be out of the way.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Hey that's pretty slick.

With such a huge tire there isn't a whole lot of places to go with it.

one question is that sitting on a shelf or is it bolted down? Reason I ask is that big *** tire flying forward doesn't sound safe
Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Year: 1998

think it would be a great idea, but im not shure about the rear passenger seat "if you have ppl in the rear" will there be room or will the tire sit over the rear seat?

either way I like it better than a roof rack
Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by MAN00XJ
trail rig and I dont even have a rear view mirror in it

Originally Posted by BLACKSPORT
never thought of this ^ like the idea!

Originally Posted by Karmashwarma
can yuo actually fit a 35 between the backof your seat and the liftgate? i couldnt even get my 33 in without putting it on an angle...it was a while back but i dont remember there being that much room.

yeah thats what i was thinking, maybe if it was down lower somehow it would be better.

XJOFFROAD - as you have stated this is just a trail rig. do you still have the rear seat in/is it up? because if not there's probibally lots of room and better spots to put it that would be out of the way.
the seat is not in right now but was in a couple weeks ago. i use it from time to time.

Originally Posted by razor02097
Hey that's pretty slick.

With such a huge tire there isn't a whole lot of places to go with it.

one question is that sitting on a shelf or is it bolted down? Reason I ask is that big *** tire flying forward doesn't sound safe
he has his bolted to the uni body

Originally Posted by mcnslayer
think it would be a great idea, but im not shure about the rear passenger seat "if you have ppl in the rear" will there be room or will the tire sit over the rear seat?

either way I like it better than a roof rack
his seat was still in and it didnt look like it affected the rear bench any

i do like the idea of tilting it some though. im still thinking! good ideas guys!

Quick Reply: Cargo area tire mount