Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)

Old 06-17-2012, 07:32 PM

Location: Orono, ME/Hudson Falls, NY/Wilton, CT. Depends when ya catch me!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)

I never thought I would be making a fabrication thread but here I am. As a senior at Wilton High School, you are given the opportunity to either intern somewhere or work on a senior interest project for the last 5 weeks of school. Since I am going to school for mechanical engineering I figured there's gotta be something productive I could do with my Jeep. So I somehow convinced the advisers that a bumper would take up 30 hours a week for 5 weeks....

Anyways I started looking around at others build threads on here and specifically took a liking to FISHIES848's Build.

I came up with a few deigns on a cad software. For this purpose I used SketchUp but if I cared a little bit more I wouldve used AutoCad or SolidWorks!

Since I finished the project and just got around to making this, we can treat it like a picture book. Sit back and feast your eyes!

Sidenotes.

The tire and rim was free and who doesnt like free stuff? Too bad rim is wrong bolt pattern.
Couldnt remove stock hitch because I was 93% sure that the nutstrip would just crumble. I figured I could use it as a frame tie-in anyways.
In an effort to be legal I moved my license plate and wired a light to it.
Spindle and other specialized parts were from AtoZ Fabrication.

Any questions? I'd love to answer!
Attached Thumbnails Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-picture-8.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-picture-1.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0958.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0959.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0962.jpg  

Last edited by lgnut123; 06-17-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 PM

More
Attached Thumbnails Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0965.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0967.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0968.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0969.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0973.jpg  

Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Page 3
Attached Thumbnails Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0980.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0981.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0982.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0989.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0992.jpg  

Old 06-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Page 4
Attached Thumbnails Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0993.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0994.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0995.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0996.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0998.jpg  

Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 PM

Page 5
Attached Thumbnails Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_0999.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_1010.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_1009.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_1005.jpg   Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)-img_1007.jpg  

Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Final thoughts...

The added weight on the back makes the rear leafs flex more than ever before.
Were all friends here... no need to do anything bad with my plates!

Whatchyall think?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Looks pretty darn stout! I like it.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Default Good job.

Nice job. My only additions would be some gussets added at stress points. One going from the spindle to just past the angle change on the swing out first of all. Maybe a couple on the tire mount as well since they get vibration/movement in all directions. And paint it.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 AM

It looks good... And heavy. I would suggest making a bracket to tie it in to the frame that way you can take a good tug. Other than that I really like it.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Thanks guys! Gussets have been on my mind because the tire can vibrate and move a little. Also. The two hangar looking things that are welded to the bumper are going to get bolted to the old hitch mounts. I figured that would be enough of a frame tie in. Am
I wrong?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Originally Posted by lgnut123
I never thought I would be making a fabrication thread but here I am. As a senior at Wilton High School, you are given the opportunity to either intern somewhere or work on a senior interest project for the last 5 weeks of school. Since I am going to school for mechanical engineering I figured there's gotta be something productive I could do with my Jeep. So I somehow convinced the advisers that a bumper would take up 30 hours a week for 5 weeks....

Anyways I started looking around at others build threads on here and specifically took a liking to FISHIES848's Build.

I came up with a few deigns on a cad software. For this purpose I used SketchUp but if I cared a little bit more I wouldve used AutoCad or SolidWorks!

Since I finished the project and just got around to making this, we can treat it like a picture book. Sit back and feast your eyes!

Sidenotes.

The tire and rim was free and who doesnt like free stuff? Too bad rim is wrong bolt pattern.
Couldnt remove stock hitch because I was 93% sure that the nutstrip would just crumble. I figured I could use it as a frame tie-in anyways.
In an effort to be legal I moved my license plate and wired a light to it.
Spindle and other specialized parts were from AtoZ Fabrication.

Any questions? I'd love to answer!
Always happy to see young men learning and being imaginative to come up with stuff on their own. Great Job. Don't know about the teacher but I'll give ya an A+ for bustin out mods on a Jeep.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:13 PM

Yeah id call that enough
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Gonna put different reverse lights on? OEM ones look blocked.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Gonna put different reverse lights on? OEM ones look blocked.
If he can I would. I got a set of harbor freight lights on the back and they are great about 3x brighter than the stock ones and you can adjust them. You can also put them on a switch that's what I did makes it useful for recovering others.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

this thing looks beefy as #^%# nice work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Swingout Bumper (Consider it a picture book)