Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

What current vehicles are off-road capable?

Old 12-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default What current vehicles are off-road capable?

Our XJs were considered pretty capable on road and off road even when stock from the dealer. Over the years newer vehicles SUVs in particular have become more "citified" and designed more to haul the kids to soccer practice than to go busting through the woods where there are no roads at all. So a question I am wondering about;

What current production vehicle would you consider is off-road capable right off the dealer lot?

For off-road considerations let's look at three levels.

1. Dirt roads, logging roads, anything not paved with asphalt or gravel and minimal potholes(no Jeep swallowing craters) and a center rise between the tracks less than about 6 inches high.

2. No road, open fields, beaches, through the woods, moderate ditches, logging roads with potholes as wide as the road and 8 inches or more deep, or similar trails.

3. More serious off-road, creek beds dry or shallow water, basketball sized rocks, knee deep ditches, rutted out logging roads with a center height over 10 inches high or worse.

I figure most 4x4 pickups available now could handle 1 and 2, in stock form, 3 maybe if they are not 4Door long bed monsters. Jeep Wrangler could also do 1 and 2 and probably 3 if you aren't worried about putting dents in it. Anyone think there are others that could handle these conditions?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I don't remember the name of it but Mercedes makes a 6x6 that can do a ton. Airs down on a switch in the cabin and I think it might have lockers... Don't rememeber.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:28 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994 SE

Is that a Mercedes factory model, or a conversion? Pretty sure it's a conversion.
Anywho...the G-wagon itself is plenty capable. Even though it can commonly be seen with 28" rims it has its roots as a military vehicle, the German hummer.
As far as the OP, I'd skip #1 all together, any 2wd pickup can handle that.

There are luxury brands that are capable off road, don't know every model, but the MB G wagon, Lexus GX line, Toyota Land Cruiser (same as Lexus GX?), Land Rover/Range Rover.

Common vehicles include the Toyota 4-runner/Tacoma (majority of new seem to be 2wd,but the 4x can be optioned with lockers and such), the Xterra was semi-decent but I think they stopped production. The Grand Cherokee, maybe. The Raptor? Then there's the... The... ???

The Wrangler line! JK/JKU!! That's really about it as far as I can tell that remains somewhat true to its off road roots.

FWIW, my first vehicle, '86 2wd Ranger with street tires, handled 1,2,and 3. I mangled the heck out of it, but it kept going!

Last edited by jay_sco; 12-11-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994 SE

Here's a 2014 shootout. Couple years old but the newest I could find that has a wide array of vehicles.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-r...-4x4-shootout/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-r...cle-shakedown/

As of yesterday, they are still doing the 2016 comparison...
Link seem to be same as 1st link for some reason, look it up. "2016 4x4 shootout"

Last edited by jay_sco; 12-11-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:37 PM

I don't know why I forgot about the XTerra, my sister has one of those and it looks pretty capable.

Anyone know if the Renegade could handle #3?

The original Rav4 could easily do #2 back in the day, but current configuration I doubt it, likewise with Ford Explorer, even though Ford really markets it as an off-road capable vehicle I just can't see it lasting long even on #2, definitely not #3 same with Durango, it has become more of a mini-van recently.

I went many places in my first vehicle too, a 71 F100 2wd, but taking an essentially free vehicle the places I took it would never happen now if I had to pay full price on a new one lol.

It is too bad the government and lawyers have made the car makers so scared of being sued that we no longer have things like the original Bronco, Scout, Tracker, Samurai, Bronco II, ect. Those were all fun vehicles that would not be legal on the road now in their original form if made currently.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:25 PM

I am guessing this would qualify as #3 and looks like the Grand Cherokee does pretty good, but when all else fails, ask an XJ for help.