Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Rear tire hop with limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rear tire hop with limited slip

So my neighbor has a 92 ford ranger with the limited slip rear end. when he goes to back out of the driveway or taking real sharp left handed turn arounds the driver side tire starts to hop and act like its locking up then gaining power then lock up and gain power etc... it runs smooth going straight and theres no clunking, grinding, or unusual noices other then the tire squeeling when it gains power again. im wondering if any of you might know what this is? i was thinking a problem with the limited slip but i really am not that familiar with limited slip or locked diffs. any help would be great thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

It could be too late, but I wonder if it's got the proper limited slip additive in the rear? I know my first TJ came from the factory without it, and it made a racket during left turns. I took it to the dealer and they added it and all was well. If it was making an noise before, and he ignored it he could have caused damage that's now causing the hop.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

it just started yesterday, theres no abnormal noices or anything yet, i told him to take it easy on it and stop driving if he hears any noice or feels anything while he is driving it to and from school... he hasnt changed the fluids or anything yet (has only had it for about 2 months) so im wondering if maybe that rear diff leaked out and lost the fluid and is what caused this to start?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5 liter

Originally Posted by jeep_guy3
it just started yesterday, theres no abnormal noices or anything yet, i told him to take it easy on it and stop driving if he hears any noice or feels anything while he is driving it to and from school... he hasnt changed the fluids or anything yet (has only had it for about 2 months) so im wondering if maybe that rear diff leaked out and lost the fluid and is what caused this to start?
did he have it installed or buy it off someone...
it sounds welded... when he goes around turns the tires are traveling at different speeds, inside slow, outside fast... this can definetly break it...
even if its not welded it sounds like its on its way out..
popping the pumpkin, and new 80w90 wouldnt hurt('less its welded)