Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Motorcycle gurus!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242
Default Motorcycle gurus!

Okay so i got two questions on two bikes.

First is, 1700 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 6-Speed, won't downshift when it's sitting without a fight. While it's moving it'll downshift just fine, but when it's sitting i have to rest my foot on the lever and let the clutch out a bit in each gear. I was thinking the syncros?

Second question, Yamaha V-Star 650. Despite countless attempts to have the dealer correct this, there is a LOT of free play in the clutch. I know the clutch was replaced when he got it, less than a year ago. I have to let the clutch out half way before it starts engaging. So how do i fix that? It's already adjusted as loose as it will go.

Last edited by 1976Mustang; 05-03-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:58 AM

Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

on the Vulcan. Is it just the downshift when sitting? I assume it's a wet clutch right? Your not using oil with friction inhibitors are you? (car oil)

V-star: who put the clutch in? some dude? Mechanic? Possibly weak springs, I know that this can be an issue on the Honda 750's (Twins)

Disclaimer: My reply is a good example of what you call "shadow stabbing"
Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 1976Mustang
Okay so i got two questions on two bikes.

First is, 1700 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 6-Speed, won't downshift when it's sitting without a fight. While it's moving it'll downshift just fine, but when it's sitting i have to rest my foot on the lever and let the clutch out a bit in each gear. I was thinking the syncros?

Second question, Yamaha V-Star 650. Despite countless attempts to have the dealer correct this, there is a LOT of free play in the clutch. I know the clutch was replaced when he got it, less than a year ago. I have to let the clutch out half way before it starts engaging. So how do i fix that? It's already adjusted as loose as it will go.
First, why are you needing to downshift when it is sitting? You should be downshifting as you come to a stop, ending up in first prior to stopping. This is common with most bikes that they will not downshift more than 1 gear when sitting, sometimes not even one gear.

Second, check springs, lube the cable, play with the adjustment until you get it to you liking. Every bike's clutch is a little different.

Last edited by glass3222; 05-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990/1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by glass3222

First, why are you needing to downshift when it is sitting? You should be downshifting as you come to a stop, ending up in first prior to stopping. This is common with most bikes that they will not downshift more than 1 gear when sitting, sometimes not even one gear.

Second, check springs, lube the cable, play with the adjustment until you get it to you liking. Every bike's clutch is a little different.
What this guy said
Old 05-19-2013, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

The heck? I don't remember posting this... Better change the password on my Computer. Oh well might as well go along with it. I know the Kawi is fine, That's how all bikes are.

The Yamaha though, a Harley/Kawi/Yamaha/Suzuki/Polaris dealership installed it and the same dealer has been asked to inspect it. It works fine, just the friction zone is really small, so there's a lot of travel in the lever before it starts to grab. Fluids should be fine since it's had 2 servicings since we got it. I messed with the cable before, it wouldn't move anymore (Can't remember if i tightened it or loosened it). I'm just wondering if it has the wrong clutch cable, or clutch assembly for that matter.