Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

might buy a 98 prelude, comments?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6
Default might buy a 98 prelude, comments?

The title says it all. I found a nice 98 prelude SH on cragslist, and I just want to know what to expect of it. Any recalls, safety issues, reliability, gas mileage, all that fun stuff. It has 151k on it already. It's the SH model, so it had the 5 speed along with the H22 v-tec. I can post the ad if needed. The car seems pretty clean. Thanks for any replies!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
The title says it all. I found a nice 98 prelude SH on cragslist, and I just want to know what to expect of it. Any recalls, safety issues, reliability, gas mileage, all that fun stuff. It has 151k on it already. It's the SH model, so it had the 5 speed along with the H22 v-tec. I can post the ad if needed. The car seems pretty clean. Thanks for any replies!
the h22 motor is that strong for racing but for a dd will give you some pretty decent mpg and the car is decently safe for being that small of a vehicle. ask is the clutch is good on it and make sure it feels solid on the test drive because honda clutches go out around 160/170k . The car is pretty fast but dont expect anything outstanding from a non turbo'd motor
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

I'm not askin for much power wise. It's enough to have fun with. I'm stuck on this or an integra. A prelude is nice, but I feel like the insurance might be too much and having to run premium in it might not save me much on gas. At least with an integra I can get the 1.8 non v-tec and run normal 87 in it. Decisions, decisions...

I'll take to my dad over it and maybe he'll budge for a japanese car. Kinda hard to get him out of his old ways. Japanese cars are built very well nowadays, especially a honda. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it. Hopefully things go my way
Old 09-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
Preludes are cool...if you're a chick.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

My good friend has a Lude running low 13's NA. Fun cars. Easy to build up.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:33 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Don't.I've owned 20+ hondas (3 of which were 400+hp and magazine worthy) and they really just aren't worth it.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by zjjerk
Don't.I've owned 20+ hondas (3 of which were 400+hp and magazine worthy) and they really just aren't worth it.
Some of the most advanced 4 cyl avail. Good gas mileage even when tricked, vtec is the ish, great highway cars, why are they not worth it?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 PM

Year: 1990
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech

Go with the integra, its a modern classic, and if you havent heard, check this out.........http://www.preludezone.com/general-t...ude-curse.html
Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

I would go with an integra, but I can't find a stock one and I don't trust ones that have been modded. Especially without a carfax or anything. Most dealers don't even have stock ones. And if they do, they want an arm and a leg for them. It sucks. I found another car I'm interested in that I might go look at tomorrow. Well, technically today since it's 1:30am. haha.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 AM

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SoCalxJ4.0
Some of the most advanced 4 cyl avail. Good gas mileage even when tricked, vtec is the ish, great highway cars, why are they not worth it?
Theft,the fact the whole honda community has turned to ****, the fact that part prices are at an all time high for them, the fact that the whole honda market is so over inflated right now.Must i go on? I watched the whole community go to **** from early 2000 to now.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Engine: 4 liter

If your just gona drive it hondas are fine. Hooking up a high power honda (350 or more) on the street is a pain. If you want a fun dd get something rwd 240, miata, rx7.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

I stay away from honda and accura. In California you're just asking for it to be stolen. I've had a few preludes and a crx. Someone broke my drivers side window on the crx and stole my stereo. The next day someone broke the passenger window and stole my heater ***. Mind you I hadn't even replaced the drivers side window yet... My last prelude was broken into about a dozen times before it was finally stolen, stripped, and dumped.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

I never had a stereo stolen, must be because I don't have a Honda. Right? Only Hondas have their stereos stolen. I live in Southern Cali, GTA capital of America. Everything is stolen!! A couple months ago, some people jacked a Ford GT. toyotas and nissans and Hondas get stolen a lot because they ate easy to steal! I could show ya how, but that would be illegal. Make your car theft proof!!! Should do that with anything anyways! And as aftermarket goes, they are like Chevy 350's, you can find a header behind a creosote bush! Huge market because of huge import following. Intakes, exhaust, effing cams, same price as any other type of vehicle, if you know how to shop.

All points against Honda, sound like personal issues, and the op needs to decipher. Ppl who write reviews, give opinions and what not, usually give out of personal history. Not facts. And bad reviews, opinions get written 8-1 over positives.

Take it as you will, if I offended anyone, my bad, but Hondas can be a lot of fun, a lot cheaper over time than a rotary, (which I love!, I'm a Mazda guy) and really??? A miata?? Two of my ex girlfriends drive those. Unless its a monster, not really much to say.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by SoCalxJ4.0
I never had a stereo stolen, must be because I don't have a Honda. Right? Only Hondas have their stereos stolen. I live in Southern Cali, GTA capital of America. Everything is stolen!! A couple months ago, some people jacked a Ford GT. toyotas and nissans and Hondas get stolen a lot because they ate easy to steal! I could show ya how, but that would be illegal. Make your car theft proof!!! Should do that with anything anyways! And as aftermarket goes, they are like Chevy 350's, you can find a header behind a creosote bush! Huge market because of huge import following. Intakes, exhaust, effing cams, same price as any other type of vehicle, if you know how to shop.

All points against Honda, sound like personal issues, and the op needs to decipher. Ppl who write reviews, give opinions and what not, usually give out of personal history. Not facts. And bad reviews, opinions get written 8-1 over positives.

Take it as you will, if I offended anyone, my bad, but Hondas can be a lot of fun, a lot cheaper over time than a rotary, (which I love!, I'm a Mazda guy) and really??? A miata?? Two of my ex girlfriends drive those. Unless its a monster, not really much to say.
No offense taken. I was just giving my personal experience based on where I live. I do know honda's are targeted more by thieves here. If you have a working alarm and a kill system in place you'll likely be fine. Vehicle theft where I live is well above the national average and the most commonly stolen vehicles are japanese. I would doubt this to be the same in OP's location.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Engine: 4 liter

Why when some people hear miata do they think gay girls car. Down a back road nothing in its class will touch it. Being a mazda guy and not likeing the miata is like being a honda guy and thinking the typeR is junk. More on topic the prelude isn't a bad car my brothers girlfrined drives one it's fine in a streight line but handles like any other fwd understeer.

Quick Reply: might buy a 98 prelude, comments?