Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Any "Ol' Skool" hot rod guys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Cool Any "Ol' Skool" hot rod guys?

OK kids, here's what I'm gettin' at...I'm refering to the days when "hot rods" were our cars, usually driven ALOT, that were modified for looks and/or performance. We'd never heard of the word "billet", and CNC machining was still decades away. If you told your friends that you got an "adaptor kit", it meant you borrowed a welder for the weekend! If you can relate, help me out here... Got a project idea, or let's say a project car and a few ideas. The car itself is an old Ford Falcon, from 1964. It's a straight six, three speed column shifted drivable piece. But, it's "rough" and it's got four doors... which basically means, if I dropped 20g's into a restoration... it'd be worth $2500! So, in my opinion, there's no good reason NOT to build a really fun, low budget, light weight exercise in wretched excess... right? So, I just happen to have a 355 inch small Chevy motor, balanced with Eagle crank, powdered metal LT1 rods, forged dished blower pistons, Crane hydraulic roller cam and rockers, Brodix aluminum heads and a twice carb'ed 4-71 Jimmy blower... That should be enough "motivation". So, here's where I need some input. I'm thinking 1960's era "Gasser" style, and utilizing (hence the low budget aspect) the tube straight axle and 8 1/4" Mopar rear out of a 2wd Cherokee! Yeah, I know... not period correct and all that, but parts availability is good, it'd still look cool and as long as it's fun to drive, right? The MIG welder in my garage, and a "universal" tube crossmember that I can't remember where it came from, says that motor and trans installation ain't gonna be an issue. Rear end installation should be nothing more than maybe moving the perches (Yeah, hanging the axle below the springs like the Cherokee will net about 4" of extra lift wich is drastically needed on the old Falcon for tire clearance). So figuring out the front end should be the fun part. I'm thinking that I'd probably reverse the axle (to put the steering linkage behind the axle, where the Falcon steering box is), and build a simple straight tube drag link and hiem joints to tie the front wheels together and from there it'll take some creativity to connect the drag link to the pitman arm... but I think it's do-able. Remove all the brackets from the axle, then weld on some leaf spring perches... I'm thinking a couple of boat trailer springs for a 2500lbs boat ought to be sufficient, and relatively low cost. The Cherokee axles would give me a 5x41/2 Ford wheel bolt pattern, with the benefit of front disc and bigger drum rear brakes... I've seen the idea tossed around on other message boards, but I've never heard of anyone saying they actually did it, or saw it done. Everybody seems to say that the "kit" from Speedway is the only way to go. Well, I got into hopping up cars when most of MY hi-po stuff came from the local junk yards and swap meets, and it really meant something to say you "built" your car! A guy once asked me "why" I would want to build a gasser style car anyway... he said "have you ever driven an overpowered, straight axle car with a high center of gravity?", and I said... "Every day!" (2000 XJ 2WD) If I can make this project work, and drive half as good as my Cherokee, I'd be extatic... Anybody with me here, or have I been sniffing Brake Cleaner for too long?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Go for it. Thats what hot rodding is about. Huge fun on a small budget...look at "Rat Rods".......bits and pieces thrown to gether for maximum fun.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Well, just a quick update here... After some extensive google searches with various word combinations, I did find one build up of a gasser style Chevy II utilizing a Cherokee front axle. It looked like the builder of that car read my mind! I think I can come up with a better steering arrangement than he did, but at least now I can say that I've seen it done, and I know it looks good! I've got a line on a "possible" donor for the front end (and possibly the rear also) that I'm gonna check into over the weekend. I fabbed up some subframe connectors this week, and have the metal for the roll bar... the wife said as soon as my Cherokee is driving again (which should be this weekend), I got the go ahead to start building the Falcon! My plan is to make the Daytona Rod Run in November! There is a real possibility of cruising this year... I'm tired of being a spectator on the sidelines. Woo hoo, for the first time in years I'm actually excited about working on a car again!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by KennyG
Well, just a quick update here... After some extensive google searches with various word combinations, I did find one build up of a gasser style Chevy II utilizing a Cherokee front axle. It looked like the builder of that car read my mind! I think I can come up with a better steering arrangement than he did, but at least now I can say that I've seen it done, and I know it looks good! I've got a line on a "possible" donor for the front end (and possibly the rear also) that I'm gonna check into over the weekend. I fabbed up some subframe connectors this week, and have the metal for the roll bar... the wife said as soon as my Cherokee is driving again (which should be this weekend), I got the go ahead to start building the Falcon! My plan is to make the Daytona Rod Run in November! There is a real possibility of cruising this year... I'm tired of being a spectator on the sidelines. Woo hoo, for the first time in years I'm actually excited about working on a car again!
I know what you mean about being a spectator on the sidelines ive got a 52 ford tudor customline with a 93 cobra drivetrain complete with fuel injection and all its been a on again off again project for about 12 years now and its still a long way from being on the road.

Name:  tran_4720100218172236.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  15.8 KB
Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

pops swapped a 96 lt1/4l60e into his 72 ss el camino circa 2009. it has 433 gears and a 3k stall converter in it. I finally talked him into a lsx swap. looking to start that this fall.

the truck has been completely restored twice since he bought it (in late 72). we pulled the factory original motor, which honestly ran fine - in leu of technology. so glad we did. I can't believe the gm assembled engine from 1972 still ran fine. granted it only had 80k miles on it.

here is a poor picture of it lol
Attached Thumbnails Any "Ol' Skool" hot rod guys?-image.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM

Engine: I-6

I had a 55 210 post I built up but had bro part with it in 08 . Regret it every day , going to look at another next month .
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '00

Here is my 58 Bel Air. Rat rod in progress. Original paint car from Mexico where it was a low rider. Stripped all the old stuff out and put in stock height coil springs up front and 2" drop in the rear. You project sounds like a great one!
Name:  Car001.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  91.8 KB
Name:  010-2_zps5b331156.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  154.3 KB
Old 04-12-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 242CID I-6

i just found my new favorite thread!!!!!

i have a 65 c10 4wd that was my dads that i am working on ill get some pics

and here is one of my 71 dodge charger

383 Hurst slap-shift auto
posi rear
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Seasoned Member

That is a sweet Charger!!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM

Thanks ya had to sell it got married and moved to go to school sucked but it wasn't the one I really wanted. I wants dis one ! Lol
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jhampton
Thanks ya had to sell it got married and moved to go to school sucked but it wasn't the one I really wanted. I wants dis one ! Lol
Man bro that's my dream car right there
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Mine too!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 AM

posi rear
71 Charger?... Grille and quarter window louvers look like 74 S/E pieces, but the 71-74 parts all interchange... I had the same grille in my 72 (pulled from a 74). I wish I could've kept that car, but it had major electrical wiring issues and I was not yet "experienced" in the mechanical field way back then. But... back to the future! Ideas are forming and slowly solidifying for my Falcon project. A pair of high back racing bucket seats found thier way into her. (They were given to me several years ago, and were taking up space in my garage) I've got the subframe connectors built, but not installed yet. (yeah, the worn out six really don't need 'em right yet)Looking at my rear axle options right now, and I've still got to go look at my potential front axle donor... but, my first real "performance" upgrade completed yesterday... the 800 amp Motorcraft battery took up residence in the trunk. O.K., it ain't much of a "performance upgrade", but it IS a first step of a long journey. And you don't get anywhere if ya don't take the first step, right?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

You have any pics of it? I am liking the sounds of this project. Every little bit helps in the journey.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

posi rear
I had a 73 Charger SE with a 400, but it never looked as good as yours.

Quick Reply: Any "Ol' Skool" hot rod guys?