Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

Advice: WHEN to prime

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Advice: WHEN to prime

Figured this should go here, rather than cluttering up the specific technical section(s).

SO. I know the importance of priming an engine that's been sitting a while, I know different methods of doing it, but what I'm after is advice on when to prime the engine.

I.e. how long after the engine is primed should I get it into my rig and fire it up? Within the hour? Couple of hours? Day? Week?

I haven't really seen that addressed (at least in a 15 minute google session), probably because people are doing it on install day.

Some weird OCD part of my brain that I can't shut up wants to do it with the engine on the stand so I can just plop the distributor right back in without real issue. But with some things up in the air I don't know when it would go back in and I'd rather not defeat the purpose...
Old 03-27-2018, 05:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Seeing how you have not got an answer yet, I might as well chime in. I am assuming you are going to use the little drill attachment that goes in place of the distributor and drives the oil pump? Once you do that, you should be good to let it sit for a while as long as the oil filter doesnt drain back into the pan. If its sits for say a week, I would still crank the engine over, with the coil unplugged so it does start, until you get oil pressure, before you start it up the next time.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:09 PM

Lol thanks!

I wish i could shut that part of my brain off... I think i need to make more fake posts and not hit enter... Just to see if it's a bonehead question lol.

Good to know for the future. Since the engine is in now, I'll probably just pull the coil wire and the fuel pump relay and crank in bursts.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Honestly, it should prime in about 5-10 seconds even if the oil filter is empty. One long burst of cranking is all you should need.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Honestly, it should prime in about 5-10 seconds even if the oil filter is empty. One long burst of cranking is all you should need.
Cool. I'm running FL-1A filters, but I'm guessing it shouldn't take much longer than that.

I think when I did my 96 i lucked out because I had a 180° phase on the timing, so I cranked and cranked so many times it essentially primed it lol

Oh man just thinking back to my first xj makes me think how lucky I was and that it didn't explode...
Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Haha yes the first xj experience. We have all been there. I am now on xj #5 and still alive. Cant complain.