Other Vehicles. Other Jeep models & cars and trucks of other makes Talk any vehicle tech in here other than Cherokees.

'87 'Burban

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8
Default '87 'Burban

This year I got tired of barrowing other people's tow vehicles and didnt want to burn up our trailblazer, so I picked up an 87 suburban, 2wd, with the 454. My two year old has dubbed it "the Burban".

I still need to do the tune up, have plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and a few other odds and ends to help it along. What Im wondering is if anyone knows of an upgrade to the fuel injection system thst might givr me another mile or two per gallon. I havent seen a 'chip' for it yet, and dont figure its likely being as Im not sure its even OBDI, but figure Id see if anyone has heard of an updated fuel managment system or something for it.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:36 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Edelbrock make a pretty cool stand alone EFI kit for those. Kinda pricy though. Does away with the throttle body injection for a more modern multi point injection. Replaces the stock intake manifold with a new intake, injectors, fuel rails, all the plumbing and a standalone electronics kit that includes the control module and the harness with all the sensors. Im pretty sure the late '80s Chevys were TBI.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Yup, TBI. The only up side of it being I have an alternate fuel system from a different pickup I can throw on it (natural gas, but possibly hydrogen) not sure if that will ever happen, as the tanks are close to twenty years old.

I knew about MFI kits and might look into it once I figure out how often I use the thing. Right now Ill probably be hauling 15-20 tons of hay annually (2-3 tons at a time), and then haul my jeep up to the hills. Once I get i.to a routine Ill probably average one wheeling weekend a month six months out of the year.

Once I tune it up ill see what milage it gets and weigh the long term advantages of adding an expensive kit. Right now I figure Im sitting at about the same cost in gas, considering I would have to burn 80 miles just to pick up a towing rig and trailer, and then only if it was available.

I was hoping someone knew a cheaper thing that would work with the existing TBI, as I figure if theres A 100-200 buck addon for 2mph it would pay for itself quicker and Id probably get it done. Replacing an intake manifold isnt something Id get done in a short weekend (too much other stuff going on perpetually).