Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default ZJ motor mounts

Looking for recommendations on motor mounts for my 1995 GC 5.2L. All the post I have seen on the Internet are years old and figured there might be something better since then. Anyone used Ironman 4x4 Fab?
Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2

I bought the Ironman Fab mounts. They get a max rating for quality and sturdiness. They get a zero for ease of installation. This was the hardest repair and install I have ever done. They came with metric bolts so they had zero clearance to fit through the block mounting holes since the originals were standard. There was no way the passenger side would fit with these so I used grade 8 bolts.

The mounting plates on the passenger side were not offset or angled to fit the block so once I did get the mount bolted to the block it was pure hell to get the main mount bolt all the way through the frame mount and the mount itself. Ended up using a die grinder to increase the frame mount hole and finally got it hammered through.

It is solidly mounted now and I'll sell this bastard before I ever change those again!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

perhaps Narcosis can comment on this, but I have heard the aftermarket mounts are more ridged than the stock mounts resulting in more vibration felt by the driver. have you looked at replacing the mounts with OEM units?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

This is a true thing he has said. The stiffer the mounts, the more the frame will vibrate. On the high side of this case, my 67 Camaro when I was racing it, had solid steel motor mounts and steel sub-frame mounts. It would lift the front end, but felt like a cement mixer. I quickly went back to OE motor mounts.