Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ Engine Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ZJ Engine Compartment

So I bought this as a toy for my son and me to work on. He is only 14 and I hope to make this his first vehicle. I am not a car enthusiast, but I am very determined and can figure most things out. (I've had to work on various intense projects due to no job, so learned by no choice)

Currently there are some AC/Heat issues which I will need to diagnose, but this caught my eye and I want to fix it.

I believe those to be the heater hoses, but I have been unable to locate a diagram of where those hoses run. Any help would be great.

Justin
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Okay, one goes into the thermostat housing and the other goes to the water pump. Year, model, and engine would be helpful.

It may have been disconnected because of a heater core leak. This is common because they are a PITA to replace. Basically, it requires removing the entire dash. There are videos everywhere to guide you thru that! The hardest part is labeling all the wiring and knowing where the screws are. AND where they go putting it back together! You'll have to get the A/C evacuated and refilled also. You might want to replace the A/C evaporator while it's apart UNLESS you want to do it again!

You wanted a project? This is it!

Last edited by dave1123; 05-31-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:35 AM

Thanks Dave.

1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 wheel drive with the 5.2 V-8

I've had to pull my engine to change an oil pan on an old Impala so I'm used to finding hard projects.

I think I found where they made a bypass from the thermostat to the water pump. So that makes sense. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I will use better lingo as I learn more.

Originally Posted by dave1123
Welcome to CF!

Okay, one goes into the thermostat housing and the other goes to the water pump. Year, model, and engine would be helpful.

It may have been disconnected because of a heater core leak. This is common because they are a PITA to replace. Basically, it requires removing the entire dash. There are videos everywhere to guide you thru that! The hardest part is labeling all the wiring and knowing where the screws are. AND where they go putting it back together! You'll have to get the A/C evacuated and refilled also. You might want to replace the A/C evaporator while it's apart UNLESS you want to do it again!

You wanted a project? This is it!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

No problem! There's no better thing to learn on than a jeep. It's called self defense!

If you haven't already, buy a Haynes Manual. It's not the greatest, but will give you the basics. You can learn quite a lot just reading this forum. The thing about jeeps is the powertrain and suspension are about the simplest you're going to find. It's the electronics that will give you nightmares.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:45 AM

I bought a Chilton. But I found it for free online. Believe it or not, you can log into some libraries and access them for free online. All I needed was my library card number. I was surprised. If my sister hadn't worked there and told me I would have never known.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 AM

So I've decided to rip the dash apart and replace everything AC/heat that I can or should to make sure it's as new as possible. I need to start a list of components to buy. Any help is appreciated.

Heater core
Evaporator
Accumulator
Orifice tube
Heater core tubes
Condenser
Old 06-08-2016, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Undetermined
So I've decided to rip the dash apart and replace everything AC/heat that I can or should to make sure it's as new as possible. I need to start a list of components to buy. Any help is appreciated. Heater core Evaporator Accumulator Orifice tube Heater core tubes Condenser
Just a heads up, you can't replace just the orifice tube, you need the whole liquid line. Stupid engineering.