Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wondering Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Wondering Loose Steering

How do I fix wondering steering? I'm still fixing stuff on my "new" 1993 Grand Cherokee. There is extra play between turning the steering wheel and the track that the jeep drives. Just feels like it is loose. Is there a way to make the connection between steering wheel and turning the wheels tighter? Thanks for your help and photos. Much appreciated.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Year: 2001 & 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3960

HI, if you mean you have too much freeplay in the steering then yes I did mine the other day. Look on top of the steering box under the bonnet (hood in the U.S) follow the steering shaft from the bulkhead down to the steering box. On top of the steering box you'll see a bolt with an allen key female top (hex shaped hole) at the base of the bolt is a nut Mine was a 16mm and it's righty loosey lefty tighty - always remember that from CSi, sorry. Adjust the bolt inwards until you get the desired freeplay, I don't have a book so I did mine just under an inch, roughly 3/4 I'd say. Then I retightened the nut. When you tighten it use a ring spanner and hold the bolt in place using the allen key. Make sure it's tight as if it's not you'll loose your power steering fluid when driving. Hope that's what you were after, if not ignore my babble. Apologies if I dumbed it down too much with the allen key bit, but I don't know how much you know about cars.
Paul
Old 11-26-2010, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Before you go messing with the steering box adjustment, look for worn tie rod ends. Worn ball joints can cause the wandering, and out of spec alignment can as well. If you adjust the steering box too much it will make the wandering feel much worse, and the steering won't self correct.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 AM

I did think he'd have checked all that, I did on mine first. Mine didn't self centre when it was too loose as well, it's spot on now. If he's not checked anything at all he should also check his tyres - done it again - tires as badly cracked sidewalls, damaged or worn tread and even eggs in the sidewall can all change the steering characteristics. Not to forget simply checking the pressures, sizes and tread patterns. I knew someone with a Toyota 4x4 who had terrible handling problems/steering, it was all down to having an AT on the n/s and a standard road type pattern on the o/s. It was fine up to 50 mph and then it wondered about all over.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default checking tie rod ends

We'll I've been laying under it grabbing and wiggling the rods but how do you tell if they wiggle toooooo much? Actually, nothing wiggles very much. It is all attached and held down to the tires. I hate to take it to a pro and ask them, but maybe I better have Les Schwabb take a look. It is just a bit of a meanderer going down the road. PS, tires are okay. thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 AM

You use a long bar - nail bar type and jack it up off the floor at the front when doing it. You are looking for an in and out movement on the ball joints - you know straight away then that a ball joint is shot. Make sure it's on stands when you're doing this. Another idea - well I did it anyway is make sure everything is checked for being tight (yep spanners are needed) and make sure you've greased your nipples - you can do the ones on the car as well if you like. If you've done all that - as I did, then it's steering box time. Make sure when doing the steering box setting that you do it a bit at a time as to tight is not good. I took mine up 3 times then I was finally happy. I could have took it a fraction tighter but slightly too loose is better than too tight.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 318

As a suspension tech for some 15 odd years the easiest way to start checking for play is to get a helper. Have your helper sit in the drivers seat and start the jeep up. With a flashlight get under the front on your back. Start at the pitman arm. Have your helper bounce the steering wheel back and fourth from side to side hitting the point at which he/she feels pressure. You can then watch the pitman arm and it's respective connection points for any play. If no side sway movements there then move out to the rod ends. Check them for any side play. If all looks good there then get the jack out and a long prybar. Jack one side up at a time just enough to get the prybar under the tire. No lift on the bar and see if there is any ball joint play. I bought our 96 GCL last spring and it had about 1/2 turn of slop each way. came to find out the guy had put a steering box in at and never tightened the pitman arm nut all the way. I did luck out cause he knocked $500 off the purchase price cause I was thinking rod ends and alignment right off the bat. I had it fixed 10 minutes after I got it home.

Just some things to look for, if you have to replace any rod ends take measurements before you pull an end off. You can then at least get things almost back to the way they where then drive it to the alignment shop.

NMG
Old 01-17-2020, 02:54 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Wondering Loose Steering

Originally Posted by murphy0409
HI, if you mean you have too much freeplay in the steering then yes I did mine the other day. Look on top of the steering box under the bonnet (hood in the U.S) follow the steering shaft from the bulkhead down to the steering box. On top of the steering box you'll see a bolt with an allen key female top (hex shaped hole) at the base of the bolt is a nut Mine was a 16mm and it's righty loosey lefty tighty - always remember that from CSi, sorry. Adjust the bolt inwards until you get the desired freeplay, I don't have a book so I did mine just under an inch, roughly 3/4 I'd say. Then I retightened the nut. When you tighten it use a ring spanner and hold the bolt in place using the allen key. Make sure it's tight as if it's not you'll loose your power steering fluid when driving. Hope that's what you were after, if not ignore my babble. Apologies if I dumbed it down too much with the allen key bit, but I don't know how much you know about cars.
Paul
My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee has had everything in the front replaced including the steering box. The only item left is the control arms and it seems the front and rear both have some play and may have been the issue all along.
They are about to be replaced then we will know.
164000 miles.