Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Trany Slippage...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L IL6
Question WJ Trany Slippage...

I'm having this issue with my Wj's Trans. I will put it into gear ("D") and let off the brake , press the gas and not go foreward untill rpm's reach about 2500 rpm. then it jerks forward and spins the rear wheels a little bit. It has 75,400 miles on it and I had recently replaced the ATF and Filter. The color of the old fluid was a dark blood red almost black. Not Milky, and no Chunks of metal.

This happens even with the trans warmed up also.

I'd not like to do this myself but would have a shop do it for me if the price is right, but i don't want to have to pay for an unnessisary rebuild also. please help.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Read this and see if there are any codes stored.>>->http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm#ERASE
You might need to have the TCM "reflashed".
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Read this and see if there are any codes stored.>>->http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm#ERASE
You might need to have the TCM "reflashed".

ol" blue I did that (3 times) and I have no codes.

I'd like to add that it dose this also when shifting from first to second, or from gear to overdrive. I do have all my gears.

realy happens when making turns at intersections (90 degree) and U turns. I have to put it in 1st gear.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

When you changed the fluid and filter, does yours have the internal "cooler return filter"? http://www.wjjeeps.com/trans_filter_4799662.jpg
WJ transmission service and maintenance.>-> http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm

Note*. Read in there about the filter seal being installed correctly.

Last edited by ol"blue; 09-23-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 PM

When you changed the fluid and filter, does yours have the internal "cooler return filter"? http://www.wjjeeps.com/trans_filter_4799662.jpg
WJ transmission service and maintenance.>-> http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm

Note*. Read in there about the filter seal being installed correctly.

no , nothing like that I could remember. I just changed the flat filter, and didn't see anything like that. Maybe I missed it, any pict of where its located in the trans?
Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

No it doesn't show. Did you read the Note* in my last post? If the filter seal is not installed a certain way the trans won't operate properly and damage will result.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:53 PM

No it doesn't show. Did you read the Note* in my last post? If the filter seal is not installed a certain way the trans won't operate properly and damage will result.

yes sir, I read it all. I did that with the flat filter. The whole reason for that fluid/filter change was because of the slipping. I thought that might have fixed my problem but it didn't.

I hear no clunking sounds or grinding sounds. maybe that may help. I think its electronics are starting to go...
Old 09-26-2009, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

A couple of times we had to take our '04 WJ in to the dealer to have the TCM "flashed". They reprogramed it and everything was fine after that. Before the procedure it was shifting late, or it might not shift occasionally. It also is "supposed" to learn your driving style and adjust the shift points accordingly.
When my wife drives it for a month, then I drive it for the first time, it shifts totally different. Our driving styles are totally opposite.

Is there a possibility of you borrowing another TCM and trying that out, before buying one?
Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 PM

A couple of times we had to take our '04 WJ in to the dealer to have the TCM "flashed". They reprogramed it and everything was fine after that. Before the procedure it was shifting late, or it might not shift occasionally. It also is "supposed" to learn your driving style and adjust the shift points accordingly.
When my wife drives it for a month, then I drive it for the first time, it shifts totally different. Our driving styles are totally opposite.

Is there a possibility of you borrowing another TCM and trying that out, before buying one?
Hey, same here. I drive the jeep durring the week and my wife gets it on the weekends. I thought i was the only one.

I could, but I don't know if He'd (a co-worker) would want to. Couldn't I just unplug the battery??
Old 09-27-2009, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

I've got my own Jeep, she's got hers, and we share the Saturn.
That won't "tell" the TCM the info it would get from the dealers computer when they hook it up and "flash learn" it.
You can remove the bat cables and hold them together for 15 seconds to drain any stand-by power in the system. That will remove any codes and memory from the ECM* but I don't believe it affects the TCM.
*You then have to go for a long drive so the ECM can relearn the system parameters.