Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ squeaky front brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default WJ squeaky front brake

I've got a squeak in my driver's side front brake on my '00 WJ that's driving me bonkers! Here's a little history;

I had a piston in the front passenger's side caliper hang up and drag for about a week before I got to it. I replaced both front calipers, rotors, caliper brackets and new ceramic pads. One day later, I had this squeak that didn't seem brake related because it squeaked whether you braked or not. I then replaced both front hubs. That CV half shaft was replaced a year ago. All the brake pads looked good when I put in the hubs, but I still have the squeak.

I'm going to find it eventually, but does anyone have a clue as to what to look for? If I can't find the problem, I'll get another set of pads. Talk about a money pit!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I just went through this problem with my wife's explorer. After doing a brake job with supposed matched set of rotors and pads from the brake warehouse, we put up with the worst squeaking for almost a year ( mostly because I was too cheap to get another set of brakes). Same situation where we had a squeak whether you hit the brakes or not. Sometimes you get that combination of pads and rotors that don't seem to mesh very well but in my case, it was actually because of the pins on the calipers causing most of the squeaking issues. It wasn't until I replaced everything, and I mean everything rotors, pads, calipers, pins, boots, bolts, and clips that the squeaking went away. So with that said, did you get a new set of pins with those new calipers and did you ensure they were properly lubed? I use a product called sin-glyde for the lube on those pins and works very well. If you're not getting good movement on those calipers they can hang up on those pins and you'll get that squeak both on the brake and off the brake. When I originally did the wife's brakes I kind of broke my own rule and did a quick job and never lubed the pins. When I took them apart they were pitted and hung up....no movement for the calipers.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Thanks, Fishbone. I bought fully loaded calipers complete with pads, pins, brackets, and stabilizer springs from Raybestos. The pins were lubed already, but I probably need to put more on them because it looked pretty thin. Good catch. What really messed with my head was it was only the one side. I will lube them right away. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Dave, have you figured out this squeak issue?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Honestly, I haven't looked at it yet.