Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Remote Starter HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default WJ Remote Starter HELP

I bought my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo a couple months ago, and it came with the Autopage Remote start unit already installed. Except I don't think the bypass is installed, because it requires a key in the ignition to use the remote start.

I tried finding the Autopage unit in the car to mess with it a little bit, but I'm not sure where it is. Is it by the kickpanel? Also what unit would you guys reccommend for the bypass?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

i own a 12v shop and am sure the unit is in the panel under the steering wheel, as for the bypass, the units i sell are programmable and just "learn" the key and thus can be started without, i dont use autopage units so am unable to comment on their bypasses, but generally there is a data port on the unit that a bypass plug into then you wire per the bypass instructions, either "learn" or wrap a series of loops around key cylinder and set by resistors, or some can learn that way or some even require a key be surrendered in bypass box and start that way, so get ready to open up a can'o'worms!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 PM

The weird thing is, my remote start USED to work without needing the key in the ignition, so I am pretty sure a bypass module was installed... I contacted the previous owner just now and he said it always worked fine without a key in the ignition but he had someone else install it and is unsure as to what is actually under the dash..... I'm gonna go look around at it, but why do you think the bypass would quit working?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Wow, I think that damn thing is dug wayyyyyy down there..... It's tough to get to thats for sure... I don't think I'm gonna be able to do this myself. Just pisses me off because it was working just fine at one time.....

I spose I could just leave a spare key in the ignition at all times, but really that doesn't scream safety to me.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM

I found the iDataLink unit sitting on top of the autopage module....... The little LED on the idatalink is not lit up at all.... I think this is my issue..... what do I do :/

Last edited by dominicricci; 02-20-2011 at 01:05 PM.