Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

wj issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default wj issues

ok so i have had death wobble for a while now. i went and took it to a 4 wheel parts to have the whole specified alignment that lifted 4x4's need. and now i put on a jks track bar with kevins off road heavy duty bushings and sleeves. it still does it. the 4 wheel parts people told me that my lower control arm bushings are worn. i have the rc 4'' x series lift. it hasnt even been 6 months. so im thinking i got what i paid for. low price lift low price parts. im looking at getting currie johnny joints and bushings. and getting a drop pitman arm. my xj had dw and i put a drop pitman arm on and it was fixed. so im thinking i might do that. any ideas?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 PM

Model: Cherokee

Got same issue with mine before lift was told caster was out it had budget boost on it bought rustys long arm and got finished with it still dw. Adjusted alot and alignment shop worked on it and I still have it a little everything is tight beginning to think it is a wj thing
Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Steps to remove this plague.
1. Track bar is the most common cause.
2. Steering stabilizer. Some say this is only a mask but from personal experience it can cause when the shock becomes springy therefore bouncing the tires back and fourth.
3. Bad control arm bushings.
4. Steering bushings at tie rod and drag link.
5. Out of balance tires.
Death wobble is commonly caused by multiple reasons above. Usually not just one as each component itself may seem fine its the system that is not working correctly. I spent 8 months replacing things before I finally rid myself of it.
Things I replaced
Hard KOR adjustable front track bar
Procomp steering stabilizer
New ball joints
Curry currectlync steering tie rod, drag link
New steering box

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Im going to get new currie johnny joints and replace the bushings. Im thinking of getting a different steering stab setup like one that goes on how most jeeps the drag link instead the tie rod. Cuz i plan on doing some bumpers/ bigger than stock tires.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by spietrzak_pee*pee
Im going to get new currie johnny joints and replace the bushings. Im thinking of getting a different steering stab setup like one that goes on how most jeeps the drag link instead the tie rod. Cuz i plan on doing some bumpers/ bigger than stock tires.
Did you get it fixed? Im curious because I have been hit again with the death wobble. And I have replaced everything but the control arm bushings as they are only a year old. If the johnny joints fixed you up I'm going the same route. Update please.