Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Grand Cherokee long crank before start

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default WJ Grand Cherokee long crank before start

Hello all

Am new to this forum, have just introduced myself in the intro section.

I have a problem with my Jeep that after it has been sat overnight then it takes about 20 seconds of cranking the car before it starts. This is only after it has been sat overnight, once the car is running then when I use it throughout the day then it starts straight away with no problems. It is a 52 plate WJ 2.7 diesel.

No Engine Management Light at all. Any opinions welcome.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER
Default some help

long crank time is usually related to the cam position sensor. also called pick-up or relay. it will gradually develop these possible symptoms : no spark ( you aren't going anywhere ) , poor idle , rough running motor , hesitation in motor , stalls after cranking up , & my personal favorite of stalls when accelerating. the cam sensor works together with your crankshaft position sensor (cps) for ignition timing and fuel delivery sequences of each fuel injector. you can see where this could become a problem. i'm not familiar with the diesel motor on jeeps. do you have a repair manual? if not, until someone else chimes in , log on to ehow.com and type in their search box : symptoms of a bad cam sensor, for example. you could probably be more specific with diesel engine symptoms. but, i know that long crank time on jeeps, is usually the cam / camshaft position sensor. you could type in location of the sensor probably as well if you are not familiar with it. like i said, i'm not familiar with the diesel engine. it has to have something similar in regards to this sensor though. good luck
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM

thanks for the reply.

I had a problem with my last car with cam position sensor and the symptoms you described match that. However, on this car I don't believe this is the case. That is because this only happens after the car has been left for a while such as overnight, whereas once started then the car runs absolutely fine for the rest of the day and will start straight away even if left for a few hours. If it was cam sensor then there would likely be problems every time i try to start the car and would also run rough.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM

your tps (throttle position sensor) , map (manifold absolute pressure sensor) , and cps (crank position sensor) all have crank up and stall symptoms as well. the long crank time is more associated with the cam sensor or a relief / check valve on your fuel pump. all of the sensors can be checked with a multimeter before changing them. they all show 5.0 volts with the key in the on (not crank) position. you can back probe check all of them to see if they are working right while in operation. the cps is a pain in the butt to check & change. but, can be done. on the tps , map , and cam sensors , it's a lot easier. also, check your IAC (idle air contorl valve) sensor. mine also caused crazy stalling on inclined roads. other than that, i hope you are not entering my " madness " territory. my 97 gc 4.0 L runs perfect in every way. until it sits for an hour. it suddenly loses all spark. for the rest of the day. then the Keebler elves & their leprechaun friends fix the " magically delicious " short over night for me. every night. starts right up and runs perfect again. with multiple off and on stops. start it in 45 mins. or less, you are in business. take the hour or more option of starting it up; have a nice walk. 3 shops later, still no answers. they think i'm crazy or on drugs. until, they start experiencing it too. that's why i call her " CHRISTINE " after Stephen King's car. hope yours is easier to fix.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default long start

It is a diesel. It can only be fuel delivery. Check/change fuel filter first. then go after the pump. there is no spark on a diesel. maby glow plugs need changed? It really just sounds like it is taking time to get fuel.

Last edited by munyanb; 12-20-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM

hi all,

thank you all for your replies. I took the car to the dealership as they had already looked at it about a month ago regarding this problem and changed a few fuel hoses, so they said they would look at it free of charge.

they had a look and did some tests and said that there is no problem with fuel getting to the engine and there is no air getting in the system, so they tested all the injectors and said a couple of them had higher than normal flow rate on startup which could be causing bore wash and not starting immediately. They said to remove each injector and get it reconditioned would be over £250 per injector and there was no guarantee that was the problem so I said thanks anyway and went and picked the car up.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM

Default another satisfied customer

gotta love those dealerships
Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

never mind!

Last edited by KD3NE; 12-22-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that is expensive for an injector. can't you just buy some aftermarket injectors? or just drive it like it is , and take a while to start it each day. keep a good battery.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:52 PM

that is what I am doing, I've got a new battery and now it just takes a while to start first thing in the morning. Its not stopping me driving the car, just a nuisance that I will have to live with.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

A diesel in cold weather needs time for the glowplug to warm the intake. Turn the key on and wait about one minute, then crank. This should solve your problem. A friend of mine had a VW diesel. There was a red indicator light on the dash he had to wait until it went out before he could start it.