Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ D35 rear

Old 07-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default WJ D35 rear

Does anybody know what the axial endplay limits are on the rear axles on a NON c-clip D35 are? It seems I've had squealing and squeaking problems with the rear brakes on my WJ ever since I replaced the axle bearings about 35K miles ago. I think mine have about 1/8" and I'm thinking that's too much. If so, where can I find shims?
Old 07-09-2017, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

All the clipped ones I've seen seem to have at least 1/8" play. That said,my rear brakes have always squealed, more like howled, at certain times like in reverse backing out of the driveway. I think it has more to do with the brakes, caliper not aligning, grooves worn in the bracket, or cheap pads or non ceramic pads.
I just put some slotted rotors on the sons mustang from a shop in California, the instructions for break in were very thorough ...go 10mph, apply increasing pressure to a full stop, repeat 5 times, go 20mph, repeat ....30mph...50 mph says to avoid squealing
I recall doing my axle bearings, there was a mix up with the seals....put the wrong seals in. Leaked rear end oil down the backing plate and tire. Grrrrr. So did it over again. Apparently there are 2 seal types, be careful. Oil on the brakes will do it every time.
And nothing beats a big can of Wearever brake cleaner, stuff cleans way better than the CDC brand and doesnt stink as bad either.

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 07-09-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Dave, could it be that the retaining plate did not get fully seated? I had trouble getting it to tighten down/fully seat because the studs would spin in the retainer when tightening nuts.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I just find it troubling because the FRONT rotors can't runout more than .003" or the brakes will chatter and squeak, yet the rears don't seem to matter very much. The calipers float back and forth as the rotors move in and out yet they don't usually squeak. Why is that? I'm trying to remember, but I think the rears are still ceramic while the fronts were changed back to semi-metallic. I've been chasing brake problems ever since I bought the WJ and I seldom had problems with my ZJ.

I bought a kit to change over to Akebono brakes and the rear calipers were larger than the Teves on my ZJ, but were still the same design. They are only slightly larger because the pads from the ZJ don't fit.