Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ AC evaporator change out - part change mid-year?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default WJ AC evaporator change out - part change mid-year?

I replaced my 99 WJ limited AC evaporator with a new one purchased from Pepboys but could not hook up the liquid line (with the accumulator) to the new evaporator coil. After much trial and error, I finally took the HVAC box out and realized the ID of the evaporator inlet for the liquid line was too small for the OD of the liquid line (hopefully I stated this correctly; two lines, one with a smaller ID and the other with a larger ID. The issue is occuring with the larger ID inlet). So, the question is, could this be a mid-year change with the 1999 WJ? My WJ was built 11/98. I was back at Pepboys working through this and it appears the part ordered was correct, based on part number, although the package was opened when I picked it up, so it may not have been the correct one in there anyway.

So to repeat, does anyone know if the evaporator type was changed mid-model year for the 1999 grand cherokee limited? This is very frustrating and I'm worried that the next one Pepboys orders won't be correct either.

Thank you very much,

Tony
Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Turns out Pepboys gave me the wrong evaporator initially. I put it back together last night, going to get it charged this week and hopefully all will be good. The only issue I had was lining up one of the large bulk connector blocks but not actually connecting it. The electronics were all out of whack with this one but found it when I decided to reseat them.