Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Windshield Wipers "thunking"

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004 Grand Cherokee Larado
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: straight 6, 4 ltr
Default Windshield Wipers "thunking"

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee LAREDO The vehicle was stored for the past 7 months and when I returned to Florida the first time I turned on the front wiper in the rain they started "thumping" at each change of direction. I had a quick look at them and after lifting them off the window I found I could wiggle them a bit thus I think indicating worn bushings. The vehicle has never been used in snow so the wipeers have not had what I would call excessive use but there is about 115 K miles on it. Can anyone tell me from experience what I am probably looking at here in the way of a repair, ie; is it likely I will have to replace the motors or linkage or are there bushings available for easy rebuilds? Tnx in advance for all the helpful info I am sure will be forthcoming. Reg

Last edited by cruiser54; 01-01-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Unfortunately, I think you'll have to replace the "transmission", which is the linkage system. I don't know of anywhere to get parts for it. You could probably find something like "heim" joints that will fit, but probably not in the time you need it. It may just be the one that the motor drives.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:23 PM

Default Wipeer problem solved

Well guys, I found the solution to the noise the wipers were making but I gotta tell ya its a bit embarrassing. Took it in for service dept to look at it to tell me if they thought the bushings were shot and the guy said it just needed a new set of wiper blades. I put em on and they are working slicker than snot on a roster's lip!! I never would have though that just old wipers would make all that racket. $23 solved the problem. Now I can take the $200 I expected to spend on the Jeep and put it into chrome for my Goldwing, at least that's my logic - mama might have other ideas.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I gotta tell you about wiper blades. For years I bought standard winter blades from Anco, Trico, Napa, and others and I never had much luck with them NOT icing up. I finally bit the bullet so to speak, and bought Rain-X blades. What a difference! These are just molded beam blades without all that metal linkage covered by rubber. They don't ice up hardly ever and when they do, one simple bang on the windshield with the blades and they're clear. The icing starts on the tip of the passenger's blade where it doesn't touch the glass when parked, but that's where they all do. I love them and will continue to buy them, however they cost me $17 each!
Old 01-04-2015, 08:38 AM

Default Rain-X

They sound like a good solution. I think a good portion of the problem here in Florida is the sun and heat rots them. I think what I will do is remove them before covering the vehicle up for the six months or so when I return home for the summer. Next time they need replacing I will get the Rain-X ones.