Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wheel bearing or CV Joint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2
Default Wheel bearing or CV Joint?

So I jacked up my front, 94 Grand Cherokee with a 3.5" lift, to see if my ball joints were bad. I put my hands-on 12 and 6 and wiggled the tire back and forth. The ball joints didn't seem to move at all but it did move around a lot at the axel. My CV boot with torn up, not sure how long. I do get a clunking at times when I turn but I can't tell if there is noise when I drive because its always loud. My though was wheel bearing but it may also be the axel assembly, CV, or both?

I was going to eventually get timken wheel bearings but if I am going to need the axel assembly and bearings I don't know if I can afford them. Are there others that are ok? Like this kit from 1a auto

https://www.1aauto.com/jeep-wheel-hu...1020315&y=1994

I can't afford top of the line stuff right now but I also don't want to have to do this again in a year. Any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Default wheel hub

So I was trying to take the center nut off my hub assembly. Its tough. I don't have an impact wrench so someone said I have to put the tire on and brake it free? No idea how to do that or if there is another way. Can I get a torch and heat it?
Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My mechanic put a large screwdriver in the side of the rotor and braced it against the caliper bracket when he torqued the axle nut. This should work in reverse.

The hard part is getting the hub out of the steering knuckle. They tend to "rust-weld" in the bore. This is where you may need heat.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
My mechanic put a large screwdriver in the side of the rotor and braced it against the caliper bracket when he torqued the axle nut. This should work in reverse.

The hard part is getting the hub out of the steering knuckle. They tend to "rust-weld" in the bore. This is where you may need heat.
I'll give that a shot thanks!