Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What's involved in getting an aftermarket bumper professionally mounted to a ZJ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default What's involved in getting an aftermarket bumper professionally mounted to a ZJ?

I was browsing Kevin's off road and read the Cherokees and Grand Cherokees have extremely thin metal for hooking up an aftermarket, heavy duty (metal) bumpers...at least compared to Ford and Chevy trucks.

It mentioned that Jeeps at full flex have ran into problems--I guess the frame is a little bit more flexible and having rigid spots where a bumper is welded prevents the rest of the frame from flexing which adds stress and potentially fractures to the interface between the bumper and frame.

I wanted to research what it would cost to buy a bumper and have it professionally installed, but I'm concerned how this might impact a daily driven vehicle.

Other than the obvious reduced fuel mileage and increased weight, I read another post on here where this dude's ride was pulling to the left or right on the highway.

Is there a write up or article that someone might be able to point me to that goes through what's involved in attaching these bumpers and what to watch out for?

I already know the previous owner of my vehicle hit something and pushed the front crossmember into the radiator (didn't crush the radiator but I see it's touching).

Last edited by po0dingles; 08-22-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Thought about frame stiffeners?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by po0dingles
I was browsing Kevin's off road and read the Cherokees and Grand Cherokees have extremely thin metal for hooking up an aftermarket, heavy duty (metal) bumpers...at least compared to Ford and Chevy trucks.

It mentioned that Jeeps at full flex have ran into problems--I guess the frame is a little bit more flexible and having rigid spots where a bumper is welded prevents the rest of the frame from flexing which adds stress and potentially fractures to the interface between the bumper and frame.

I wanted to research what it would cost to buy a bumper and have it professionally installed, but I'm concerned how this might impact a daily driven vehicle.

Other than the obvious reduced fuel mileage and increased weight, I read another post on here where this dude's ride was pulling to the left or right on the highway.

Is there a write up or article that someone might be able to point me to that goes through what's involved in attaching these bumpers and what to watch out for?

I already know the previous owner of my vehicle hit something and pushed the front crossmember into the radiator (didn't crush the radiator but I see it's touching).
Ill make this simple and nice. The bumper mounts onto the frame rails. A good bumper utilizes about 5 bolts per side iirc. Xjs get yanked by their bumpers all the time. I forgot how zjs and wjs mount but i bet its just as strong.

As for the guy swirving, that could be anything. To blame it on a bumper is dumb.

Come here next time and don't read into magazines and such. We Will steer you right. You can install an aftermarket bumper yourself. I know someone Will post after me some links so you can see the real mounting points since im at lunch at work
Old 08-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Cool - thanks Syco
Old 08-22-2014, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Your airbags might not go off in case of an accident with an aftermarket bumper.

Check out Nates 4X4 for ZJ bumpers. He also sells the mounting kit.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Your airbags might not go off in case of an accident with an aftermarket bumper.

Check out Nates 4X4 for ZJ bumpers. He also sells the mounting kit.
Where's the airbag sensor on the ZJ? Same as XJ
Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

To answer you guy's questions about the WJ, there ain't nothing strong enough to mount a REAL bumper and the factory tow hooks in the front will tear out if you ****** with them. On a steady pull or use of a nylon tow strap, they are fine, but do not ****** with a chain!

After all, the primary use of a WJ is NOT off-roading. It's more of a bad weather grocery getter. I'm sorry to say that because I own one. It's fine in snow that you'd have to use snowshoes in, but in rough terrain, it needs modifications. I solved the rear tow points with a trailer hitch.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dave1123
To answer you guy's questions about the WJ, there ain't nothing strong enough to mount a REAL bumper and the factory tow hooks in the front will tear out if you ****** with them. On a steady pull or use of a nylon tow strap, they are fine, but do not ****** with a chain!

After all, the primary use of a WJ is NOT off-roading. It's more of a bad weather grocery getter. I'm sorry to say that because I own one. It's fine in snow that you'd have to use snowshoes in, but in rough terrain, it needs modifications. I solved the rear tow points with a trailer hitch.
Thanks for clearing that up. I've never examined a WJs mounting points. As for the OP, guess these were the years he was talking about then. Im happy I've learned something today lol
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Yeah, when I first bought my WJ, I went looking for front tow hooks and a brush guard for it. HAH! The OEM kit for the tow hooks have brackets that mount with POP RIVETS! Admittedly large ones but REALLY? Nobody seems to make much off-road stuff for the WJ yet. The only brush guard I found looks like a shopping cart handle sticking out the front.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-23-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Can it be modded with large nuts and grade 8 bolts at all. I've seen nicely built 01-02 WJs. Made me want one as the family car. That's discouraging though
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Where's the airbag sensor on the ZJ? Same as XJ
On my '97 ZJ, it was mounted on the horn bracket in front of the passenger's side front tire. It's an inertia type sensor and requires a good hit to trip.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Can it be modded with large nuts and grade 8 bolts at all. I've seen nicely built 01-02 WJs. Made me want one as the family car. That's discouraging though
You could mount it with bolts but the problem is there are no holes for the bolts and it would take a major disassembly of the front end to get access and the metal is thin. The ZJ at least has some strength to it.

Don't get me wrong! I love my WJ. I'm just disappointed it's not like my ZJ was. The bumpers on this are just plastic over styrofoam. You could probably damage them with a good kick! I'm serious! I backed into a concrete based lamp post, just inching, and put a crease in the corner of it.

My ZJ got slammed in the rear by a Jeep Liberty and the only damage was the step trim panel popped off. My trailer hitch punched a hole in his front bumper, however. The impact wasn't enough to set off his airbags, either.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-23-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dave1123

You could mount it with bolts but the problem is there are no holes for the bolts and it would take a major disassembly of the front end to get access and the metal is thin. The ZJ at least has some strength to it.

Don't get me wrong! I love my WJ. I'm just disappointed it's not like my ZJ was. The bumpers on this are just plastic over styrofoam. You could probably damage them with a good kick! I'm serious! I backed into a concrete based lamp post, just inching, and put a crease in the corner of it.

My ZJ got slammed in the rear by a Jeep Liberty and the only damage was the step trim panel popped off. My trailer hitch punched a hole in his front bumper, however. The impact wasn't enough to set off his airbags, either.
That's why i like th XJ and zj. Back when cars were made to fold a lil less. Come the cut back in costs and "safety" the wj was born. Same as Alot of cars. I've seen lil hondas and Hyundai hit something at 10-15 mph and the hood folds. I know that's the design and what not, I've bumped into things as a y ounger driver in a jeep and never a mark. Nor an injury to me because the hood didn't fold