Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What are the rear body vent covers called?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: I6 - 4.0
Default What are the rear body vent covers called?

1998 GC 4.0 w/auto

At the rear corners are louvered covers over what seem to be anti-pressure vents. I guess for relieving the air pressure from slamming the doors and maybe they actually vent air if the windows or front air vents are open.

The carwash smashed the left rear one off the other day and I'd like to find how much they are. If cheap enough I won't fix the old one. If they are too costly I'll repair the original with cotton tea shirt material and 5-minute epoxy. It's look like just two screws from the inside hold it on.

I've searched under vent, and rear vent, and found mostly engine parts.

Anybody know what this specific thing is called?

PHM
-------
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Its called a " Quarter Panel Exhauster". Wrecking yard is your best bet for a replacement or glue yours back together.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Thanks.

I see that the on-line people seem quite proud of the ones they are selling so maybe I'll just repair this one. Although I have to go prowl my local junkyard for a set of horns so maybe I'll see if they will make me a nice deal on the vent.

I was talking elsewhere here about using cotton cloth (old tee shirts and socks) and epoxy to repair things. A guy was repairing his headliner and mentioned using dryer sheets and polyester resin - when I suggested epoxy and cotton. I have some 5 minute epoxy and I'm sure I can find some cotton rags so maybe I'll use them to repair this vent and then post the pictures.

I hot-glued it back together several times from the outside but the contact points were small and hot-glue is largely rubbish besides. Cloth and epoxy on the inside will make it bullet-proof.

PHM
--------

Originally Posted by Nick-B
Its called a " Quarter Panel Exhauster". Wrecking yard is your best bet for a replacement or glue yours back together.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:41 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Your best bet for getting those side "vents" is from a 1993-98 ZJ at your local Pick-'n'-Pull... you might have to paint to match, but it's easy enough to get replacements
Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 AM

1998 GC 4.0 w/auto

Is that what I have? A ZJ ?

I saw one at the junk yard yesterday - sort of a pimp-version. All black with gold trim. I think even the make / model emblems were gold. And even the aluminum wheels had gold trim. All leather interior - it must have been Something while it was still on the road.

I wonder what holds those rear vents on? Must be screws from inside I guess?

PHM
-----------

Originally Posted by 94zj318
Your best bet for getting those side "vents" is from a 1993-98 ZJ at your local Pick-'n'-Pull... you might have to paint to match, but it's easy enough to get replacements
Old 03-26-2017, 10:02 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks - you were right: those rear side vents were only $5.00 each at a local DIY junkyard. My Jeep is silver and the 'new' vents are faded black - but once installed they look like they have always been there - so I'm not painting them. <g>

Horns were cheap too - but I had to remove more than a half dozen pairs before I found some that worked. <g>

BTW: Those rear air vents are held in only by being tucked behind the window trim and with three small pins which are pushed into rubber boots in the sheet metal under the vent. Or . . . . almost nothing. <g>

PHM
--------

Originally Posted by 94zj318
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Basically horns are horns! I'd like to find a pair from an 80s Chevy truck. They are loud and obnoxious! I seldom use my horn, but when I do, I want people to turn around and look to see where the sound is coming from!

Last edited by dave1123; 03-27-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 AM

I have to disagree with you on this one,

HORNS are not horns. <g>

I bought a 2006 Corolla and hell; I was half embarrassed to even Sound the horn: just the tiny wimpiest little beep-beep sound came out. Like horns on a Barbie Mobile Car. Just pitiful!

So I switched them out for a pair of horns from a 1976 Fleetwood Brougham.

Now those were some HORNS! It sounded like the Queen Mary was docking! <g>

The funniest thing about it was that I could Lay on the horn and nobody would even consider that it was me - they would just keep looking around for The Big Truck or whatever. <g>

PHM
---------

Originally Posted by dave1123
Basically horns are horns! I'd like to find a pair from an 80s Chevy truck. They are loud and obnoxious! I seldom use my horn, but when I do, I want people to turn around and look to see where the sound is coming from!
I
Old 03-28-2017, 03:49 AM
Old fart with a wrench

That's the whole point! People will pay attention! So what if they don't know it's you. At least they woke up!

The best set of horns I ever had was from a 56 Chrysler New Yorker. They were 6 volt but I ran them on 12. Big long trumpets that sounded like a ship, then I added one Chevy horn to it and it sounded just like a CSX freight locomotive!

Last edited by dave1123; 03-28-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:52 PM
HP2

Year: pair of 99s
Engine: 4.0

As you discovered, they are cheap at junkyards and easy to get off.

The black and gold ZJ was probably a Limited version. They came in a number of mono-chrome finishes with gold stripping and lettering.

Horns...you want ones with copper windings to produce the fullest sound. Aluminum windings produce the tinny, beep sound instead of the large honk. That is how Plymouth made the '68 Road Runner sound like the cartoon.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Old fart with a wrench

While we are talking about horns, what kind of horns do Xjs have? I saw 2 jeeps in the boneyard that had a single 4" round flat horn. Were they original and how do they sound?