Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What the future holds

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default What the future holds

Just wondering what you guys think will be the Jeep of choice for us that love the Cherokee design up to the change to the WK. My 94 ZJ I bought 3 years ago with 199k and is still running every day at 250k plus. I am a backyard mechanic and repaired every problem myself including cracked exhaust manifold and new VC coupling in the transfer case. This Jeep is so easy to work on compared to other vehicles.I currently own a 2011 Liberty and like it, but don't think it will have the longevity of the 4.0 and it is scary looking under the hood. Do you guys see yourselves moving into the newer style Cherokees down the road when the classic GC's are becoming harder to find. Has anyone thought that far ahead. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:57 PM

Year: 2001

my only issue with the newer ones is independent front suspension
Old 03-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Actually we're living the moment because the future of jeeps is uncertain. The ability and ruggedness of the dual live axle platform is tempered by the rust inherent with unibody. Most XJs and ZJs and WJs (soon) are not repairable after the suspension control arm mounts rust away. Everything else is fixable. There are ways to replace those sections, but getting the jeep to pass state safety inspection after a major frame repair is difficult, but okay for off-road.

Fiat-Chrysler has just about abandoned the off-road market and is building AWD cars for the street and the occasional dirt road enthusiasts. Except in the west, land use is getting tenuous at best.

The JK and JKU are about the only good off-road jeeps left and they've hampered them with useless engines, and the price is astronomical.

Don't shoot the messenger, but pretty soon we've going to have to abandon the brand for Japanese or European stuff. There are still the big trucks that are pretty good, but not the same. Pretty soon, good used jeeps are going to get expensive! Axles and t/cases are getting scarce!

Last edited by dave1123; 03-19-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:40 PM

Year: 1994

I agree Dave, I found a 2004 wj with 70k original on it I was ready to pull the trigger but life and other expenses got in the way. Couldn't justify two Jeeps at that point.I was hoping to have it for the next 10 -15 years. The reason I got the Liberty is it's the closest to a Cherokee without being a Cherokee if you know what I mean. I am diligent with maintenance and hoping for the best. PS I consider it an honor to have you reply to my post , I always look forward to your input.Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 02:00 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Who, me? I'm just a mean, feisty old man who likes to spread rumors, ah, information! LMAO! People tell me I missed my calling. I should have been a teacher. Nope, then you have to stay with the curriculum!