Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What to do next

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy What to do next

I have a 1999 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo. 4L v6 it died on me I had the alternator tested and it was bad so I changed that it drove for a few days and died again I tested the battery (which was 6 years old) it tested bad so I replaced it. Now yesterday morning I go to start it and I get nothing. One click, no power, and later that day no click at all when I gave it a go. This is my first jeep and not quiet sure what to replace next. I checked the battery terminals for corrosion and I'm good there. They are tight and the wiring looks good. I'm at a loss. Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The rare 4.0L V6.... try again. Just for future reference, it's an inline 6. AKA 4.0L I6

So lets recap. You have a new battery and a new alternator. You just tried to crank it and got nothing at all.

Have you actually cleaned your terminals? They may not look corroded but they most likely are. Can't hurt to simply run some sand paper through them and get em nice and shiney. Shiney is good for electrical connections

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 09-07-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

I've tried adding to this post a million times but it won't let me so I will post again.

My jeep would have intermittent "no power" situations. Zip, zero, nothing when I would turn the key. So, like a good problem solver, I started simple. Grabbed my multimeter and tested the voltage at the battery post. 12.6 volts like she should have. I then tested the voltage at the jeeps terminal. 1.2 volts. Not good. Mind you, my terminals showed no sign of corrosion. I pulled them anyway and cleaned everything, getting the posts and terminals nice and shiney. SHINEYYYYY! Reconnected everything and BOOM, no more power problems. Literally costed me nothing. Try it out!
Old 09-07-2016, 12:38 PM

My very first thing before I had to get a new alternator and battery was to check and clean the terminals I cleaned them and still got nothing with the old parts. I have cleaned the terminals since and all that with a tool but it doesn't get in the small spaces so maybe that's the problem what can I use to get it completely off?

Such a great impression of these forums already.

Last edited by Jaykub Sexton; 09-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Does it start with a jump start? It sounds like its still not charging if it works for a while and then dies or it might have something draining the battery all the time. I would get a meter and see if you are actually charging the battery when its running. Can you charge the battery or jump it to get it running? These jeeps are told when to charge the battery by the pcm so its not always as simple to diagnose as an older car with just an alternator/regulator setup. There might be a battery temp sensor in the battery tray that can go bad and tell the pcm not to charge the battery. Theres one in my 2000 xj.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:22 PM

it worked great for about a week after I put in the new alternator then a week later the battery was reading bad. So I got a new one and it was old anyway so no big deal it wouldn't start at first with the new battery until I cleaned off some corrosion that keeps coming back then it worked all weekend fine no problems now its dead again. I have been so busy I haven't tried jumping it yet. I am about to go take a look at the terminals any idea what I can use to get all the corrosion off? It seems to keep coming back.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:38 PM

If you are still working with the OEM terminals then your problem may be corrosion build up inside the terminal. Look at the wire were meets the terminal that is were the corrosion happens. It is possible that there may only be a few strands of the cable that are actually making a connection. Your best bet may to be to cut both terminals off the cables and put new ones on.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I agree install "NEW" battery cables and clean the grounds where they connect down to bare metal along with the hardware or replace it also.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

While I do agree that new battery cables and terminals are always a good idea, I'd like to find out what the actual problem is first before throwing parts at it. Test all of your connections with a multimeter to make sure there is battery voltage present. Should have battery voltage at the alternator as well (while it's off).
Old 09-07-2016, 04:06 PM

The parts I replaced I did because they went bad. I just got in from cleaning the terminals really good and when I did I noticed the corrosion is down in the negative wire. I got it to start up once but that's all. So now I have to get new wiring and never changed them before.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:13 PM

Is this what I will need?

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...?checkfit=true
Old 09-07-2016, 04:24 PM

My camera didn't quiet get the corrosion very well but here it is.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Dude, that's nowhere near "shiney". completely disassemble your cables, get some 80 grit sandpaper, and put some elbow grease into it. You can take those two bolts out that clamp the cable to the terminal. clean all that ish. That little bit of oxidation on the exposed wire isn't life threatening IMO.

You didn't tell us how you got it to start. Did you have to jump it or was their still juice in the battery? What are your voltage readings! We are hungry for actual numbers! FEED US
Old 09-08-2016, 10:15 AM

I got some of the corrosion off the negative wire but it is down inside the casing of the wire. When I did this the jeep started on its own. My access to tools are limited I do not have anything to get any readings with except a battery charger that will charge the battery, jump it, and read if the battery is good. I scrubbed on the terminals and posts with what I have for an hour it looks a hell of a lot better than it did. Whoever had this jeep before me did not take care of it and I'm left with this mess.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

ok, well make a trip to the store. get a cheap voltmeter like sears or harbor freight. Get a terminal cleaner while you're at it. super cheap stuff and it'll work.

Multimeter -

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html

Terminal Cleaner -

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery...ner-94450.html

Battery cleaner and protectant -

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...attery-cleaner

Quick Reply: What to do next