Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

What do I need to know

Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What do I need to know

Hi Everyone,
My wife is interested in getting a 2011 - 2013 Overland and I was wondering what do I need to know to find a good used one.
Would you-who-know enlighten me on these vehicles? I drive an RX7 and have no idea about the Grand Cherokee other than they look pretty nice.

Thanks,000,000 in advance for your learned input!

- a -
Old 06-24-2014, 06:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it was me i would look up reviews on them anywhere i can.Look up recalls and technical service bulletins on them.And go drive a few see if it fits your needs and budget.And before you buy any car always have a good mechanic give it a good inspection.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
If it was me i would look up reviews on them anywhere i can.Look up recalls and technical service bulletins on them.And go drive a few see if it fits your needs and budget.And before you buy any car always have a good mechanic give it a good inspection.
Sound advise! At the top of this page is a banner called TSB & Recalls. Click on that and look up your vehicle to see what is going on with it.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 AM

Hey, thanks for taking time to reply. I do truly appreciate your interest in helping. Still, I was hoping for something from folks who own and drive them. Something more personal than 'go look it up'.
I subscribe to Consumer Reports, so reading reviews as pretty much a no-brainer. And, finding technical bulletins...okay sure.
Something more than reading some professional professing an opinion is what I'm after.
I would like to hear from you who drive them; what do you like? What do you not? What broke for you? Are there problems or issues that are endemic? Or, is it bullet-proof? Is yours the most reliable and fun vehicle you've ever owned? If so, why? If you'd known then what you know now would you have purchased the one you have? If not, why not?

A month ago or so, I was unexpectedly in the market for a 4Runner (sorry if I insult anyone here by mentioning ;-) and knew nothing about them except my neighbor's recommendation. On a forum for the model, in addition to reading lots of personal experience, I was directed to a huge post called a "3rd Gen Buyer's Guide" which told me about the Strawberry Milkshake problem with the transmission cooler, warned me about front ball joints and the weak brake rotors (also included how to upgrade the brake system to solve the issue). After study, I felt quite well equipped to examine and test-drive; a couple of weeks ago, bought one and am very happy with it.

Perhaps the model year the wife wants is too new and there's not much experience. Still, I'm sure you guys who know the Overland (and Cherokee in general) have some stuff to share! C'mon, let me know...fill me in...gimme the scoop, Jackson!

Thanks!

- a -
Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I hate to point you to a different forum but http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/
Old 06-25-2014, 11:04 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I think the major problem is they are too new for most of us to have much experience with them. The guys in the forum deal mostly with the ZJs and just recently the WJs. The WK is quite new to us and not suitable for many modifications, thus less interest. Even electrical questions tend to go unanswered.

I think once jeep went to independent front suspension, most guys don't even consider it a jeep! JMHO.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
I think the major problem is they are too new for most of us to have much experience with them. The guys in the forum deal mostly with the ZJs and just recently the WJs. The WK is quite new to us and not suitable for many modifications, thus less interest. Even electrical questions tend to go unanswered.

I think once jeep went to independent front suspension, most guys don't even consider it a jeep! JMHO.

Fair enough.

Thanks everyone! I'll try the forum mentioned above

- a -