Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default What is this?

Just picked up a 1998 ZJ. It won't start and needs some front need work but I just couldn't pass it up. I first tried to start it up tonight and saw an arc on the part shown below. It was located on the front of the motor down by the pulleys. It looked like a plug wire connected to it and the wire ran to what looked like the dist. cap. It was dark so i couldn't get a good look at it in the back. Has anyone had this issue before? i dunno if thats the only thing wrong, however, it's a start. Any help would be amazing!

Name:  photo-1.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  21.2 KB
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is your Ignition Coil, Yes that wire going to it is a Coil wire that feeds your distributor. My XJ wouldn't start because of that stupid coil. Mine was 27 bucks at autozone.

Get new plug wires also. They will come with a new coil wire.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. I figured thats where it ran to but I just wanted to make sure. Would this also cause the battery to run down? Apparently the guy i got it from just put a new battery in about 6 months ago and now it's dead. I like the cheap price tho!!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If you seen an arc from the coil, that means it's working. You may have some bad ignition wires. It's not uncommon for a battery to go dead if it's just sitting for months at a time.

Last edited by Bustedback; 06-04-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

That would not cause a battery issue, it would take something like the ASD relay to stay energized and cause a drain that would relate to the coil.

For battery drains, first check lights, glove box light, maps, interior etc... Check aftermarket devices too.

If you have a DVOM, measure the amp draw with the neg cable disconnected (it should be less than 50 miliamps= 50mA) Or if you unplug the negative batt cable and hook a test light inline-from the batt cable end and to the battery terminal, it should not light. If the test lamp is lit, start pulling fuses one by one. when you find the fuse that kills the test light then search out what the fuse powers (if mulitple things) and unplug them and see what is causing the draw.