Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Weird misfire Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Weird misfire Issue

Hey guys, my buddies 2000 Wj 4.0 has this weird misfire. To start it started with the replacement engine he had put in, since the first start theres no spark in cylinder 6. So we checked the plugs and swapped the coil and nothing then we went to the dealer and got a new Cam and crank sensor still nothing. We checked the grounds and took the ECM and key module out of my WJ just to see by any chance its the Ecm does the same thing... Im stumped... Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Free bump because I am curious.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

check to see if power is going to the coil first and work your way back from there.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:02 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Cylinders #1 and #6 fire simultaneously on the same coil and you changed that. Check plug #6 for a cracked insulator. I got a Champ like that right out of the box! Are you sure it's not a bad injector? Is the injector plug cracked? Was the injector harness damaged in the swap? The injectors are controlled by drivers in the PCM. Make sure you don't have a bent pin in the PCM harness plug.

The injectors are supplied with a constant 12 volts and are grounded thru drivers in the PCM to control fuel. There is a cool tool called a "Noid" light that will show if the injector is firing or not. You might try someplace like Autozone to rent one.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-19-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Cylinders #1 and #6 fire simultaneously on the same coil and you changed that. Check plug #6 for a cracked insulator. I got a Champ like that right out of the box! Are you sure it's not a bad injector? Is the injector plug cracked? Was the injector harness damaged in the swap? The injectors are controlled by drivers in the PCM. Make sure you don't have a bent pin in the PCM harness plug.

The injectors are supplied with a constant 12 volts and are grounded thru drivers in the PCM to control fuel. There is a cool tool called a "Noid" light that will show if the injector is firing or not. You might try someplace like Autozone to rent one.
Yes we did use a noid and the injector is firing. Gonna have to double the the harness and the pins. Im wondering if its possible that the flex plate has anything to do with it. Im sure he used the flex plate that came with the used replacement engine, maybe it could of been bent or have a different number of teeth and messing with the crank sensor. Im gonna give him a hand on this again tomorrow after work Ill keep you guys updated. Thank you
Old 04-19-2017, 04:19 PM

Year: 2000 Sport
Model: Cherokee

Let us know what you find out.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

It's entirely possible the CPS got damaged in the swap. I've talked to transmission shops and they tell me they replace the CPS with every trans change just to be sure.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Esechuy
Let us know what you find out.
OK update, problem solved! We checked everything we could think of to no avail. So we pulled the motor back out to remove all the wiring and start checking everything one thing at a time...again but when we got the motor out and put it to the side I realized the flexplate had a slight bend in it right at one of the holes where the crank sensor sits
(I tried taking pictures but couldn't really see it in the pic) So we straightened it out got the engine back in and now it runs beautiful! I think the weight of the engine rested on the flexplate for a moment during install. So be careful and take your time. Hope this helps someone.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by cherokeexj21
OK update, problem solved! We checked everything we could think of to no avail. So we pulled the motor back out to remove all the wiring and start checking everything one thing at a time...again but when we got the motor out and put it to the side I realized the flexplate had a slight bend in it right at one of the holes where the crank sensor sits
(I tried taking pictures but couldn't really see it in the pic) So we straightened it out got the engine back in and now it runs beautiful! I think the weight of the engine rested on the flexplate for a moment during install. So be careful and take your time. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks for coming back to let us know and glad you figured it out!!
Old 05-13-2017, 03:26 PM

Year: 1999

The flexplates are thick metal. Seems like it would be pretty tough to bend one. Interesting problem and fix though. Nice work.